Could make a little change on template please?

Hi all,
I´m in the process of translating the Getting Started Guide to
Chinese. But there has a little problem here. The Font's size and
style in template between Asian and Western are different. Every time
I open a new file and become translating. I must change the font size
and style first.

For example, in the OOoHeading 1, the Western text fonts' Style is
Bold, and the Size is 16 pt. But the Asian text fonts' Style is Book,
the Size is 12 pt. I must to change the Asian style and size first.
It's a boring work.

Could make the Fonts' Size and Style in template become equal between
Asian text and Western text in NEXT template please?

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Sun

Hi :slight_smile:
I hope someone can do this.  I am sure Jean probably can.  I have no idea if it's a big job or not.

Great to hear work is going well apart from that!  Good work chap! :slight_smile:

You can get a copy of the template, make the changes needed, and save it on your computer. The next time you open one of our files, the Asian font changes should automatically be applied. That would be faster than waiting for us to change the template.

If you put your changed template on the ODFAuthors website, we can use it when making the next version of the official template.

--Jean

It is a no-brainer for you to alter the "official" English-language template's paragraph or character styles yourself. It really does not make a helluva lot of sense to alter the English-language template to accommodate any other languages.

You can change that template to whatever formats you desire on your language's template . Doing that should only take a minute or so for each style's changes, and it may not even be necessary to change many of them if the Default paragraph style is modified first because many of the others (should) have their fonts and other formats inherited to them from the Default style.

Gary

Thanks for these reply!
It seems that a friend has misunderstood my suggestion.

Note that I didn't say anything about to alter the English-language template.

English-language template's style and format or something like that,
just in the Western Text Fonts' option. There is no relationship
between the Asian Text Font and the Western Text Font.

I believe that maybe the author of the template forgot to set the
Asian Text Fonts' option(Maybe they didn't realized that one day the
guide well translate to Chinese/Japanese/Korean).

So my suggestion is not ALTER anything in the English-language
template, just set the Asian Text Fonts' option while you are at it.

And thanks the Jean's suggestion!

Regards
Sun

You are free to modify the English template yourself however you want. If you desire to set Asian Text Fonts option while modifying the English-language template when adapting it to your language's template, just do it--yourself. It's that simple. Also, you do not require any permissions from anybody to do that.

Perhaps, there is a problem concerning this, but I just do not see it.

Gary

Hi :slight_smile:
I think the problem is that each time he starts working on a new Chapter he has to redo all the settings again, and again for the next Chapter and again for the one after.

If only there was some way of applying a revised template to multiple documents! :slight_smile:

Why not delete all the styles and then import ONE template into each chapter--the one that contains all the desired formats? If the applied styles cannot be deleted (I forgot how LO works in that regard when styles are already applied), then just overwite their formats with the new template's styles. Wouldn't that do the trick?

Gary

Tom there *is* a way. Actually more than one way. Read the chapter on templates in the Getting Started Guide. One way is to use the Template Changer extension to update all the docs in a folder at the same time.

Jean

Too complicated. See my reply to Tom. Template Changer extension is the secret.

--Jean

I can see a blog post on this topic coming up. Perhaps I'll have time to write it on the plane. :slight_smile:

Wow!!  That sounds good.  I vaguely remember something about this extension cropping up before but only remembered with hindsight.  I knew someone would come up with something pretty awesome
Thanks Jean!

BTW, does TC work without Java being installed first, like some other extensions that require Java? LO does not install Java by default any longer.

And the last time I checked, the TC installation file online was still without its file extension. So, that would need to be added.

Gary

In days of yore before TC was used (with OO), I imported templates into files by using the File menu--overwriting whatever styles that were already present, I thought. Is that functionality available without requiring that TC be installed?

Gary

Assuming that you will modify the template to your liking, one simple way to "import" that template's styles into the original file's contents is to create a new blank file using that template and then afterward import the contents of the original file. (Place the cursor anywhere in the original file's contents, press Control-A to select the entire file's contents and then copy and paste the contents into the blank file you just created with the new template.

And you're done in just a few seconds.

Gary

Hi :slight_smile:
That sounds interesting too.
Thanks Gary :slight_smile:

There are several ways to import (load and overwrite) styles without using the Template Changer extension. All methods should be covered in the Styles and Templates chapter of the Getting Started book. I find the extension to be the fastest and easiest solution. I don't think it requires Java. AFAIK, it simply automates the load styles functionality. One click, not several.

--Jean

Thanks for all your help!