Weird stuff department: Why everything needs last-minute checking

The ToC in the Draw 3.4 Guide is missing the Preface and hence has
wrong page numbers for the rest of the book, but the really weird bit
is that the page numbering restarts in Chapter 3. The actual page
numbers in the document are correct. I'm not sure what caused that
weirdness (other than the ToC not being updated before the PDF was
created), but I certainly should have noticed it. And I probably
should have put the "release candidate" out for others to check, but I
didn't...

This is not a big deal, but it does point out the need for us to have
more quality assurance on our books... but that QA needs to be on a
fast turnaround as well as thorough. I wonder who might have noticed
the ToC was wrong? (Hazel, probably.) Does anyone else actually look
through a ToC when final-proofing a book? I usually do, when it's
someone else's book; but when it's a book I've done, I just don't
notice things.

When I get a chance, I'll regenerate the ToC and the PDF and hope
nothing else goes weird. :wink:

A lot of this could be picked up by anyone, however new to the team.  It just needs someone other than the author (or whoever has just done a lot of work on the chapter/guide).  Hazel is brilliant and goes into a LOT of detail but perhaps we need a more informal "quick squint test" or something.

I think this team does usually do this anyway.  Usually when chapters or books get uploaded to the wiki i make a point of telling the Users List and Tim of KrackedPress fame so that they can have a quick look or come back with problems they spot.  They hardly ever grumble about any of the documentation tho so i got lazy and didn't do this with Draw or Impress.

Someone had a brilliant idea of making an announcement to the entire community and it might be a good idea to do that when guides are uploaded to the wiki?  It still might be  good idea to let soem of the lists know when individual chapters are released but when guides are uploaded an community wide announcement would be great.
Apols and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

I usually blog about new stuff on libodocs.wordpress.com so it gets on
the planet, but other publicity is good too. And you are so right:
anyone can pick up things like this, if they pay attention. Don't even
need to know a thing about the software!

--Jean

Sorry about the question but... Somebody gave me admin
permissions for these wordpress? My user is viajeramental.

Thanks and apologies
Sylvia

I usually blog about new stuff on libodocs.wordpress.com so it

gets on

the planet, but other publicity is good too. And you are so right:
anyone can pick up things like this, if they pay attention. Don't

even

need to know a thing about the software!

--Jean

> Hi :slight_smile:
> A lot of this could be picked up by anyone, however new to

the team. It

> just needs someone other than the author (or whoever has

just done a lot

> of work on the chapter/guide). Hazel is brilliant and goes into

a LOT of

> detail but perhaps we need a more informal "quick squint

test" or

> something.
>
> I think this team does usually do this anyway. Usually when

chapters or

> books get uploaded to the wiki i make a point of telling the

Users List

> and Tim of KrackedPress fame so that they can have a quick

look or come

> back with problems they spot. They hardly ever grumble

about any of the

> documentation tho so i got lazy and didn't do this with Draw

or Impress.

> Someone had a brilliant idea of making an announcement to

the entire

> community and it might be a good idea to do that when guides

are uploaded

> to the wiki? It still might be good idea to let soem of the lists

know

> when individual chapters are released but when guides are

uploaded an

> community wide announcement would be great. Apols and

regards from

> Tom :slight_smile:
>

> From: Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com>
> Subject: [libreoffice-documentation] Weird stuff department:

Why

http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/documentation/

> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and

cannot be

> deleted
>

> --

> List archive:

http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/documentation/

> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and

cannot be

Hi :slight_smile:
Probably!  At one point people were all very keen that we develop blogging as a way of promoting the activity of the documentation team.  I think Jean was somewhat sceptical but then ended up being about the only person to post.  So, if you enjoy blogging then feel free!

Sorry about the delaying replying. You are talking about the Docs Team's blog on Wordpress.com, I assume. I'm happy to add you there but I don't usually grant admin privileges until someone has participated for while. Is there a special reason why you want or need admin access to the blog?

Jean

It can be a long thing? Or can be something short like a How-to
or some advices about the use of some part of LibreOffice?

Probably! At one point people were all very keen that we

develop blogging

as a way of promoting the activity of the documentation team. I

think Jean

was somewhat sceptical but then ended up being about the

only person to

post. So, if you enjoy blogging then feel free! Regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Date: Wednesday, 6 June, 2012, 20:27

> [...]

> > should have put the "release candidate" out for others to

check, but I

> > didn't...
> >
> > This is not a big deal, but it does point out the need for us to

have

> > more quality assurance on our books... but that QA needs

be on a

> > fast turnaround as well as thorough. I wonder who might

have

noticed

> > the ToC was wrong? (Hazel, probably.) Does anyone else

actually look

> > through a ToC when final-proofing a book? I usually do,

when

it's

> > someone else's book; but when it's a book I've done, I just

don't

> > notice things.
> >
> > When I get a chance, I'll regenerate the ToC and the PDF

I think either is good.  It would be nice to have variety.  If some were about a tweet-length and others a paragraph or 2 then i think that would be ideal.  Jean posted the YouTube video on how-to create a hybrid Pdf but usually posts only contain words.  The video adds a bit of colour which makes the page more attractive but possibly pictures and logo might be better.  The main thing is to add variety to make it look interesting.

Posts to our blog can be any length you want. Or you can post a short item that points to something (like a how-to) on our wiki or a video or an article somewhere else.

By now you should have received an invitation to be an author on the blog.

--Jean

I would like to add some little how-tos or advices about
LibreOffice usage, especially in Writer. Just this, a little help.

Regards
Lailah

> [...]

>>> should have put the "release candidate" out for others to
>
> check, but I
>
>>> didn't...
>>>
>>> This is not a big deal, but it does point out the need for us

> have
>
>>> more quality assurance on our books... but that QA needs

> be on a
>
>>> fast turnaround as well as thorough. I wonder who might

have

> noticed
>
>>> the ToC was wrong? (Hazel, probably.) Does anyone else
>
> actually look
>
>>> through a ToC when final-proofing a book? I usually do,

when

> it's
>
>>> someone else's book; but when it's a book I've done, I just
>
> don't
>
>>> notice things.
>>>
>>> When I get a chance, I'll regenerate the ToC and the PDF

I've given you Author privileges on the blog. If we find that you need more, I'll upgrade it to Editor. I don't remember exactly what each level can do.

Looking forward to your first contribution!

--Jean

Thanks! I'm writing something, I hope to post it by this weekend.

Regards,
Sylvia