Docs Team presentation at LibreOffice Conference

I'm drafting a proposal for a presentation at the LibreOffice
Conference. Here are some topics I've identified to be included (if
time). Have I forgotten anything important?

Past and current activities of Docs Team, main players, main output
(user guides)
Our wish list: more formats, more types of user docs; more docs for
specific audiences
Limitations: people with necessary skills
Involving, mentoring, retaining volunteers (community building)
Quality assurance
Fitting in with user support (mailing lists, forums), training,
translation, certification
Tools and techniques (including Alfresco vs ODFAuthors; LO, wiki, video)
Keeping up with pace of software development
Group discussion on how to do more, better, faster
What should be our priorities?

--Jean

Perhaps you could add a small paragraph about the benefits for contributors? (Like training in technical writing / peer reviewing / translating; learning to use the software efficently; fun...)

Nino

Good point. "What's in it for me?" is always important for recruiting
and retaining volunteers. Thanks!

--Jean

Hi Jean, *,

I'm drafting a proposal for a presentation at the LibreOffice
Conference. Here are some topics I've identified to be included (if
time). Have I forgotten anything important?

Past and current activities of Docs Team, main players, main output
(user guides)
Our wish list: more formats, more types of user docs; more docs for
specific audiences
Limitations: people with necessary skills
Involving, mentoring, retaining volunteers (community building)
Quality assurance
Fitting in with user support (mailing lists, forums), training,
translation, certification
Tools and techniques (including Alfresco vs ODFAuthors; LO, wiki, video)
Keeping up with pace of software development
Group discussion on how to do more, better, faster
What should be our priorities?

Localizations: Howdos, differences and similarities, only translations
We have a big international documentation (and this is very good) but we have very small localized documentation.

Hi :slight_smile:
Errr this might be my last post for a while [big sigh of relief from everyone i'm sure].  I'm just trying to get this one in quickly before i get banished from the lists!

QA = i think the docs teams is pretty brilliant at this.  The structures and work-flow are there.  Just needs more people (as always) rather than relying on the same 2 that do so much else here too.  I get the impression that certain people are gearing up for this anyway or could be pushed into it now they have more confidence of working in the team.  Some might prefer it to getting bogged down in the detailed work they do at the moment.  Anyway, it's all fine at the moment and heading the right way.

Obviously nothing can be perfect and fast (fast, cheap or good - pick any 2 but you can't get all 3) but somehow you all get close to both / all 3.

Errr, i cheekily edited Klaus-Jurgen's comment below as there seemed to be a tpyo or 2 but i thought the meaning was clear.  Localisations is an issue but i think a lot of teams were waiting for English documentation to be ready first and it is now.

It's been great and quite fascinating!  Many thanks to all you fantastic people, that is all of you past and present (and possibly future but we don't know yet except Jean who is always in my tomorrow it seems given local time-zones)

Many regards from
Tom :slight_smile: