Extensions

Hi :slight_smile:
I think it is ok now, to point to the OOo site for things.

I agree it is better to point to LO sites where possible but we can be fairly confident in OOo Extensions working equally well in LO.  Also when Oracle were running the OOo websites they kept dropping out from time-to-time.  Now that Apache are running them they seem to be up all the time and we can be reasonably confident that they wont suddenly vanish over-night.

The LO pages for Extensions are likely to continue to be more stable for LO than for Apache because LO has already done it's re-organising and Apache might still shift things around a bit to stream-line them a bit.

IMO we should not be "promoting" extensions that are not in the LO
extensions repository... unless they are unusually outstandingly
helpful. We do have a generic statement that people can get extensions
from various places.

Also.... In a few cases, extensions we mention are now bundled with LO
itself & so the wording in the docs needs changing. In some other
cases, including with Calc, some extensions that might have been
listed in an earlier version of the documentation don't actually work
well with LO and should be dropped from our docs... whether they are
in the LO repository or not.

--Jean

unless they are unusually outstandingly helpful.

What makes an extension "unusually outstandingly helpful"?
A list of objective criteria.

We do have a generic statement that people can get extensions from

various places.

Could a list of sites that provide extensions that may work with LibO
3.x be included.
* http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/
* http://aoo-extensions.sourceforge.net/
* http://oooconv.free.fr/index_fr.html
* http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooop/files/Extension/

jonathon

  * Unknown - detected
  * English

  * English

<javascript:void(0);>

Hi :slight_smile:
I think that LO is in an unusual position.  We can really open things up and promote non-TDF/LO solutions because it shows that LO is a team player and that people wouldn't get locked-in to depending on LO for everything.

I have been thoroughly enjoying watching NASA videos about the International Space Station.  Resupply is sometimes done by Russian rockets, sometimes Japanese, sometimes European Space Agency.  The people living or visiting the space station are usually from different countries.  American astronauts sent up by Russian rockets and all different combinations.  Now with commercial rockets joining the mix it is really opening up and that has vastly increased the skill-sets, experience, understanding and longer-term viability of each country involved in the project.