Cover design for documentation - Back side

Hi all,
reworking on an old subject:
I started to make a back of our documentation following our front design.
I did this for the German versions [1] and now I do it for the international versions [2].

There are some first items:
- of course: my English and Google's translation ;-). So the text needs to be controlled and changed (especially "About LibreOffice").
- the content of "About LibreOffice" should be as high as the module bar as you can see on my German proposals.

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:K-j/Drafts/Design/Front-Guide#R.C3.BCckseite_unserer_Handb.C3.BCcher

[2] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:K-j/Drafts/Design/Front-Guide#Back_of_international_documentation

BCCing Drew Jensen, working for the fronts, because I don't know if he reads this ml.

Hi :slight_smile:
Good plan!  Sounds like an excellent move! :)  I'm not sure if Drew is on this ml either but he seems to cover a lot of them so it's probably good that you Bcc'd him.

Errr, in English it's better to say back-page or back cover .  Back-side tends to mean a person's bottom which generally makes people chortle or at the very least smirk.  It is good to have a bit of humour tho.  So, thanks for that :D

Sorry to have taken so very long to get back to this topic. I've now
downloaded your samples, which I quite like but for two things:
1) To me they look a bit cluttered or "busy".
2) Of more practical importance, no space has been left at the bottom
for an ISBN. So they are good for the free PDFs but will need some
modification for the printed books.

I will try to find some time soon to make a proposal for some modifications.

I also note your request for modification of the English. That part
should be easy for me, at least. :slight_smile:

The 1st link look more like something you would find inside, perhaps just before the Preface? ... or perhaps on the back-cover?  I agree with Jean that it is tooo much info for the front cover.

For the 2nd link i preferred the 2nd set but didn't like the greyed-out icons at the bottom.  They would look better in colour.  I think it was an interesting idea to try out but i don't think it quite worked.  The 1st set in that 2nd link might be better if the icons were in 2 or 3 columns in the space under the heading of the guide.  At the moment they seem to be crowding in on the heading and distract attention away from the guides' heading.

All looked like a lot of good work and interesting ideas.  Far beyond my skills but criticising is easier than doing.  I hope you are on the design team so they can benefit from your ideas and work too!

Many regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Tom,

BOTH links refer to drafts of the BACK cover, one in German and one in English.

Jean