Calc Guide corrections

These incorrect Figure errors are from the LuLu published /LibreOffice 3 Calc Guide , /published 16 June 2012. It appears that towards the end of some of the chapters the figure numbers start decreasing instead of continuing to increase. As such the referenced

figure is not the one the text is talking about. You might have someone double check my assignment of the correct Figure numbers.

    *Page # of incorrect Figure*

    *Published Figure number*

    *Correct Figure number*

    19

    22

    13

    62

    35

    61

    88

    76

    85

    89

    75

    86

    91

    74

    89

    92

    72

    92

    94

    64

    94

    129

    115

    118

    130

    111

    120

    147

    132

    135

    149

    125

    138

    149

    128

    139

    172

    153

    155

    173

    152

    157

    174

    151

    159

    177

    150

    160

    178

    149

    162

    184

    148

    163

Hi :slight_smile:
I thought i would try that tab,le again but as a Csv this time to hopefully make it a little more readable

*Page # of incorrect Figure*,   *Published Figure number*,   *Correct Figure number*

Thanks, John, for the corrections, and thanks, Tom, for the more
readable layout. I'll get on to making those corrections soon.

As an aside, it's really getting to the point where we will have to do
something drastic about these buggered-up x-refs. I keep avoiding
this, because I'm sure it will require starting from scratch, with a
totally new and clean template (not modified from an existing
template) and files, pasting in everything in unformatted text,
reformatting, the works... just to find out if it's a bug in our files
(which I'm convinced it is) or a bug in LO itself. We've talked a bit
about creating a new template, dropping the custom styles in favour of
using the built-in styles, and doing other clean-up stuff, which could
be part of the same exercise. But the prospect of the work involved is
daunting, and it will take away so much time that could be spent
keeping info up to date... even though I know that, if it works, it
should make compiling and debugging a book so much less
time-consuming.

--Jean

Well I am sorry that my LibreOffice Writer table did not copy well into email. It looked good on my screen before I sent it. Next time I will take a screen shot and make it an image then it should come out okay.

john

Hi :slight_smile:
Would it make sense to deliberately wait until 3.6.2?  Each branch seems to prefer a fresh start and we are already nearly half-way through the 3.5.x branch.  A plan sounds good even if you do something completely different   lol

I think it's more realistic to think of implementing such an ambitious
plan for v4.0. That would also be a good time to make changes in the
template to improve the ease of converting them to ePub and other
formats. Meanwhile, much testing is required, to see what works or
doesn't.

Lol, ahah.  I used Calc.  Most email clients seem to delight in messing things up.  Mine has helped me gain many !fans on the Users List.

As an aside, it's really getting to the point where we will have to do
something drastic about these buggered-up x-refs.

How exactly does it happen?

What steps are you performing to produce the final document? (It's a global
document, right?)

The way I'd suggest to try to narrow down the cause of the problem should not
be pragmatic in the sense of "what can we do to avoid/work around the
problem?".
I'd rather suggest to "think QA", what's just the opposite: "What can we do to
make it break? - What is the minimum set of essential steps to reproduce the
failure?". (It's not natural thinking, it's rather some kind of devil's
advocating.)

Therefore: could you try to save increasing intermediate parts of the growing
document after each single step you perform? And examine them carefully to
find out, which step breaks the references?
A next step could be: Is it reproducible if you strip almost all text from the
documents in question and just leave the refs and the pictures in place?

I keep avoiding
this, because I'm sure it will require starting from scratch, with a
totally new and clean template (not modified from an existing
template) and files, pasting in everything in unformatted text,
reformatting, the works... just to find out if it's a bug in our files
(which I'm convinced it is) or a bug in LO itself.

IMHO it'd be rather interesting to find out if it's really a LO (or OOo/AOO)
bug or some kind of broken document template.

(Just some suggestions)

Nino

The problem occurs when I combine the individual chapters into a full
document. Doesn't matter whether I use a master (global) document or
start with one file and use "insert file" to add the other files to
it. Some x-refs in most chapters, usually starting around half-way
through each chapter, then go wrong. I don't know if there is a
minimum number of chapters that causes the problem to occur.

If/when I have time to do some testing, I would do much what you
suggest. But I don't have time, and I won't have time for months. If
you or someone else wants to try it, please do! (The problem goes back
to OOo3.x, btw; it's nothing new in LO.)

--Jean

>> [buggered-up x-refs]
>
> (Just some suggestions) [...]

The problem occurs when I combine the individual chapters into a full
document. Doesn't matter whether I use a master (global) document or
start with one file and use "insert file" to add the other files to
it. Some x-refs in most chapters, usually starting around half-way
through each chapter, then go wrong. I don't know if there is a
minimum number of chapters that causes the problem to occur.

In the German Doc Team we are producing global documents, too - maybe this
will lead to new insights.

If/when I have time to do some testing, I would do much what you
suggest.

It was not meant as a separate testing activity but rather what to do if
encountering such issues during normal productive work, thus "no" (or little)
extra work intended - just "freeze a snapshot of all documents in question".

Nino

Hi Jean & all.

I've been silent for a while but jump in about this template topic that really bugs me for a long while.

I'm sure it will require starting from scratch, with a
totally new and clean template (not modified from an existing
template) and files, pasting in everything in unformatted text,
reformatting, the works... just to find out if it's a bug in our files
(which I'm convinced it is) or a bug in LO itself. We've talked a bit
about creating a new template, dropping the custom styles in favour of
using the built-in styles, and doing other clean-up stuff, which could
be part of the same exercise. But the prospect of the work involved is
daunting, and it will take away so much time that could be spent
keeping info up to date... even though I know that, if it works, it
should make compiling and debugging a book so much less
time-consuming.

Could we first establish a table summarizing the guides styles?

We could list:
current style, parent style, stock style replacement (if any), style settings, notes

I'm willing to help into creating that list.

Best regards,

Sure! I don't have time, but I encourage you or anyone else interested
to just do it. :slight_smile:

The styles are a mess IMO, so that sounds like an excellent plan.

Jean

Hi Jean-François,

> I'm sure it will require starting from scratch, with a
> totally new and clean template (not modified from an existing
> template) and files, pasting in everything in unformatted text,
> reformatting, the works... just to find out if it's a bug in our files
> (which I'm convinced it is) or a bug in LO itself. We've talked a bit
> about creating a new template, dropping the custom styles in favour of
> using the built-in styles, and doing other clean-up stuff, which could
> be part of the same exercise. But the prospect of the work involved is
> daunting, and it will take away so much time that could be spent
> keeping info up to date... even though I know that, if it works, it
> should make compiling and debugging a book so much less
> time-consuming.

Could we first establish a table summarizing the guides styles?

We could list:
current style, parent style, stock style replacement (if any), style
settings, notes

I'm willing to help into creating that list.

+1

Maybe you can find a Macro which does exactly this? Perhaps Andrew can help?

I assume, the styles reside all in the Document Template. So what you propose
is cleaning up the Document template, I'd say.

Go ahead!

Regards, Nino

Hi All,

Maybe you can find a Macro which does exactly this? Perhaps Andrew can help?

Well... I'm doing this by "hand" :slight_smile:

I assume, the styles reside all in the Document Template. So what you propose
is cleaning up the Document template, I'd say.

I didn't remember of the existence of that template (and dunno where it template lies), so I'm using the Getting Started Guide for LibO 3.4. (http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/0/00/GS3400-GettingStartedLibO.odt). I think/hope that document has most if not all the styles needed.

If someone can point me in the right direction, I'll happily get my hands on the template.

Go ahead!

Doing so :wink:

I'm currently working on a Calc spreadsheet that summarizes the styles and their settings (when different from the defaults).

> Maybe you can find a Macro which does exactly this? Perhaps Andrew can
> help?
Well... I'm doing this by "hand" :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

That's ok for one document.

But remember, there are lots of template based documents in the Documentation
area! E.g. the German translations are based on somewhat different styles with
completely different names. With a macro one could quickly list all the styles
used in that particular document, so comparison would be a lot quicker/easier.

> I assume, the styles reside all in the Document Template. So what you
> propose is cleaning up the Document template, I'd say.

I didn't remember of the existence of that template (and dunno where it
template lies), so I'm using the Getting Started Guide for LibO 3.4.
(http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/0/00/GS3400-GettingStartedLibO.od
t). I think/hope that document has most if not all the styles needed.

If someone can point me in the right direction, I'll happily get my
hands on the template.

I think, Jean knows where the most recent User Guide Template resides.

I'm currently working on a Calc spreadsheet that summarizes the styles
and their settings (when different from the defaults).

Great!

Regards,
Nino

Hi :slight_smile:
Apparently some people in Mexico were able to access the internet through a ham-radio set-up.  Not hugely fast but good for emailing apparently.  I guess 2 cups and a bit of string is pushing it.  Pigeons have a high "dropped packets" rate but packet size can be considerably larger especially with usb-sticks.

Yes, sure (I have a zero-knowledge wrt to macros and don't want to put my toes into that; some kind of an allergy I'd say). I also know the FR community have their own styles when they translate the guides (eg, they convert OOoXxxx into LibOXxxx). Anyway, we have to start somewhere and, to me, the basis is the international documentation.

I can see the documentation styles and templates workflow as:

1. Create a catalog of the styles present in the documentation
There are
(a) stock styles (very few)
(b) custom styles (many)

2. Analyse the naming
(a) collisions-like
(b) names too close between categories
(c) ambiguous names
(d) non-fonctional names

3. Analyse the uses for styles

4. Propose a move
(a) Styles that would go from custom to stock
(b) Custom styles to rename for better understanding
(c) Custom styles to leave alone

5. Document the move
So that documentation writers know what's up.

6. Do the move.
(a) Create the new template-s
(b) Convert the guides

Ouch.

Jean-Francois,

first, I did not mean to distract you from work! Please go ahead, all the
ideas are just suggestions for "nice2have" long term improvements. But nothing
should prevent you from sorting out Documentaton styles.

Yes, sure (I have a zero-knowledge wrt to macros and don't want to put
my toes into that; some kind of an allergy I'd say). I also know the FR
community have their own styles when they translate the guides (eg, they
convert OOoXxxx into LibOXxxx). Anyway, we have to start somewhere and,
to me, the basis is the international documentation.

Full agreement.

1. Create a catalog of the styles present in the documentation
There are
(a) stock styles (very few)
(b) custom styles (many)

2. Analyse the naming
(a) collisions-like
(b) names too close between categories
(c) ambiguous names
(d) non-fonctional names

3. Analyse the uses for styles

(including properties and inheritance)

4. Propose a move
(a) Styles that would go from custom to stock
(b) Custom styles to rename for better understanding
(c) Custom styles to leave alone

5. Document the move
So that documentation writers know what's up.

6. Do the move.
(a) Create the new template-s
(b) Convert the guides

Ouch.

1. Every long journey starts with the first step.
2. You are not alone.

Regards,
Nino

You probably already know that LO has a way to generate a list of the styles in use in a document. I don't recall how much detail is included, however; probably not as much as you want.

Jean