What are you going to do for v3.5 updates?

It's time for all of us to turn our attention to updating the user
guides to v3.5. What do you plan to do?

* Getting Started: This should go fairly quickly, because it's at v3.4
now, and I hope the errors from v3.3 have been removed.

* Writer Guide: As for GS; it's at v3.4. JohnS, do you want to have a
lash at this?

* Impress Guide: PeterS is working on it, and doing a fine job.

* Calc Guide: Help, help, help! (Needs to go from v3.3 to v3.5;
debatable whether to produce one for v3.4 -- depends on how much
difference from v3.3 to 3.4 or 3.5; needs evaluation. Someone's got to
do the work. Who?

* Draw Guide: As for Calc Guide

* Math Guide: I'll check this quickly, but I don't think much if
anything is needed. I should be able to produce a v3.4 or 3.5 book
quickly.

--Jean

Calc Guide: Major differences between 3.3 and 3.5 there are still some screenshots in the 3.3 guide with the OOo birds in them.

I have had some issues that have stopped me form getting a list together and will most likely not get back to it until late April or early May.

I would suggest skipping 3.4 unless someone else wants to do it.

-Ian

Hi :slight_smile:
I agree.  I think we already decided to skip the 3.4.x version of all the remaining guides.  So Calc, Impress, Draw, and Math are all to be done as 3.5.x branch.  Maybe if there is time afterwards then come back to the GS and Writer?

While I still have 3.4 on my system, I'd be happy to look at Calc or Draw. If you'd rather me not, I'll have a lash at Writer.
Just throw and shout Fetch! :smiley:
John

Hi :slight_smile:
It is possible to install the 3.5.1 alongside your existing install
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel

All that is left for the 3.4.x branch is to publish the finalised Writer Guide.  Job's done!
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications

Now it's time to do the remaining guides but for the 3.5.x branch instead.

Wiki guides, the Faq and the help files that are integrated into the program could use some help!  Does anyone have any idea how to work on those?  There are a lot of targets to pick.  What do you fancy?

It is possible to install the 3.5.1 alongside your existing install
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel

I did have both 3.4.x and 3.5.2.1 working separately, but 3.5.2.1 wiped out a 3.5.1.2. So, one can do some things but not all.

In addition, this paragraph worries me a bit...

    Windows

Please, if you are a Windows user with experience on administrative installs for OOo/LibO, edit this entry. Seehere <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Run_OOo_versions_parallel#Windows>for "inspiration".

The writers of that section are begging for LO writers to update what they "stole" (copied) from OO in that regard.

Gary

If you were able to rip through the Draw Guide for 3.4 quickly (say, over the next week), that would be supercheck. Check the list I've compiled of the things I know need to be changed. It's on the wiki; I'll look it up if you don't find it straightaway. Also, hm... I think there may be a file or two partly done by Martin Fox months ago; I'll look for it when I get off the iPad and on the computer. It's possible there's not that much to do for that book for 3.4.

If you did choose to do a quick update, then just doing program changes (such as the change from "eyedropper" dialog to whatever it is in 3.4) and actual errors in the existing text, Would be sufficient. I think this book was worked over fairly well when we went from OOo to LO (unlike GS and Writer). We did leave some OOo in examples, because it was too time-consuming and difficult to change those particular examples).

Same comment for Calc Guide; if an update to 3.4 could be done very quickly, then I think it would be good to do so. I don't recall how much needs to be done, but there is a list on the wiki page.

Otherwise, moving straight on to v3.5 for any book is the way to go. My personal opinion, which differs from Tom's (and probably some others), is that GS and Writer should be updated to 3.5 even before updating Calc and Draw. And they should be fairly quick to do... I hope!

All that is a long-winded way of saying, please use your judgement!

--Jean