Ch 13 of Writer's Guide...

Jean,

Since I'm all "warmed up" on how to do screenshots, I can make the changes.

David Blymire

Jean,

There is one other issue with the master document dialog box (under File-Send) -- the click box for "automatic file name extension" in Figure 1 is no longer included as a user option. Is this related to some other change that needs to be described in the copy, or do I simply delete the reference to it?

David Blymire

David,
That checkbox and the "separated by" list are still there in my copies
of LO 3.4.6 (Mac OS X, Ubuntu 11.10, Windows 7) -- IF you are using
the LibreOffice Open/Save dialog boxes. However, I note in Windows 7,
when using the Windows Open/Save dialog boxes, the checkbox is still
clickable but the "separated by" choice is as you say. We state in the
Preface to the book that we use in illustrations the LO dialog boxes,
which are the same across platforms, and that what you (the reader)
see may be different. In this case, I have added a few words about the
different label on Windows.

--Jean

I've now checked in Ubuntu without LibreOffice dialogs selected, and I
see that the checkbox is indeed missing. But it's there on Mac OS X,
and the "separated by" label is also. Gah! It's things like this that
drive techwriters mad!

--Jean

And I just realised that I haven't done a Preface to the Writer Guide!
So the info on using the LO dialog boxes is, or should be, in Chapter
1.

I think I need more sleep. Or more caffeine. Or both. :wink:

Sleep is a good plan.  Can't you just copy the preface from the GS guide?

I have lost the Quickstarter tick-box.  It's definitely not in
Tools - Options - Memory nor General

Normally i would avoid it like the plague but now that i can't find it i've spent ages trying to get it back on one Windows machine.  It's not even like i need a screen-shot of it or anything.

I could copy and modify the GS Preface, but then I also need to modify
Chapter 1 to avoid conspicuous duplication of some sections. Easier to
just leave adding a Preface until next time.

--Jean

What version of Windows? What version of LibreOffice?

I think it was LO 3.3.4 on Xp.  Now i am about to install 3.5.1.  But that is not the point.  The point was that i didn't want it so why waste time trying to get it?

+1
A brilliant answer.  "Release early and release often" :)  'Often' being about 1/year in this case, which is plenty often enough and far more often than most projects do their documentation.

Hi Jean,

I could copy and modify the GS Preface, but then I also need to modify
Chapter 1 to avoid conspicuous duplication of some sections. Easier to
just leave adding a Preface until next time.

A quick look shows that the Preface of GS has the section "What are all these things called?" which is on page 22 of Chapter 1. I would not delete it there but in the Preface of the Writer Guide.

The Help system is a "duplication" but it makes sense in both parts because of the context. In the Preface there is a widespread information (page 4) and in Chapter 1 (page 21) it is a short information. The only: We can put an sentence: "For more information see the Preface".

Thanks, that sounds easier than I thought it might be. I'll have a
look. I've just finished compiling the full Writer Guide but I can add
a Preface fairly easily so perhaps I'll do that. Tomorrow's chore will
be to go through looking for incorrect x-refs etc before I put out a
version for Hazel and others to go through.

--Jean

I'll try to make the Preface. I'm now copying all the persons working on the Writer Guide of OOo. I hope I will have it in about an hour and can put a first version for reviewing on odfauthors then.

I've just done a version. There were some other things to be changed
as well as the ones mentioned earlier.

--Jean

I will put mine up now. You may find ways to make it better. Thanks!

--Jean

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/writer-guide/draft-lo3.4/wg3.4-preface/view

[...]

I will put mine up now. You may find ways to make it better. Thanks!

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/writer-guide/draft-lo3.4/wg3.4-preface/view

I reviewed it and don't found mistakes.

(And learned that in English it is possible to make a comma before "and" in an enumeration.)

You put off the FAQs. Especially that point I find it worth for the Preface.

Mabye we can put in some FAQ-informations about the book:

- Distribute this book?
- May I sell this book?
- Can I buy this as a book as printed version?
- Can I get a eBook?
- How can I contribute to LibreOffice documentation?

Only as proposal.

What to include in the FAQs for the component guides is something to
discuss for next time, as they apply to all the books. Thanks for
starting the discussion!

In English (Uk) it is really bad but in American English liberally spraying unnecessary commas is considered educated or something (see relevant episode of "Red Dwarf")

Just in my tuppence worth
Regards from
Tom :wink: