Getting started: Preface and chapter 1

Here are a few notes:

General. Do we need lists of authors and notes for Mac users at the start of each chapter? It should be enough to have them in the preface.

p.3 (contents). How to get/install the software. The word "software" looks funny on my reader - big gap between w and a.

p.8 Help. Two bad cross-references.

p.14 better "is saved password-protected". And "in case you lose the password" should be "if you lose the password". No one loses a password by choice!

I have downloaded chaps 2-3 and will look at them later.

Here are a few notes:

General. Do we need lists of authors and notes for Mac users at the start of each chapter? It should be enough to have them in the preface.

In the compiled books, those items should not be in the chapters. If they are, that's an error I will fix. In the individual chapter files, those items are correctly there.

Finding errors in the individual chapter files is good. Finding errors in the compiled book is even better, because that's what I'll use for the printed copy.

GS ToC, p3.  "Software"
Looks fine to me in the Pdf for the individual chapter and in the full book.  I can't open Odfs at the moment on this machine :(  Ubuntu 10.04 default fonts in mstcorefonts and "Document Viewer 2.30, not Adobe Reader.  Is Hazel's issue called " bad kerning"?

GS "Help" was on p10 not on p8 for me.  The links all worked for me.  The page was only there in the full book, not in the chapter.  It was in the Preface chapter on p8 and the links all worked for me there too.

Password Protection section
I think it looks cute the way it is.  It could be slightly better, as per Hazel's suggestion, but the meaning is clear as it is.

GS ToC, p3.  "Software"
Looks fine to me in the Pdf for the individual chapter and in the full book.  I can't open Odfs at the moment on this machine :(  Ubuntu 10.04 default fonts in mstcorefonts and "Document Viewer 2.30, not Adobe Reader.  Is Hazel's issue called " bad kerning"?

OK. That seems to have been corrected in the full book.

GS "Help" was on p10 not on p8 for me.  The links all worked for me.  The page was only there in the full book, not in the chapter.  It was in the Preface chapter on p8 and the links all worked for me there too.

These are still there. They're on p.20, near the bottom of the menu section.

p.32 In the note, I think "The back button, located....options dialog (not shown in the illustration)," would read better.

p.36 What's a LibreOffice distribution? I've never seen this usage before.

p.37. Discrepancy.The explanation of middle mouse button "Paste clipboard" says it pastes at the cursor position, but in the table, it says at the mouse pointer position.

pp.47-48. Duplicated paragraph about US English numbers.

This completes chapter 2. I propose to go forward through the chapters and send an email for each one.

Hi :slight_smile:
p20 "help" bullet-point:  I hadn't noticed before.  It does seem a bit clumsy, unlike the rest.  perhaps speech-marks would help?

p32 Note:  Doesn't seem too bad.  Perhaps not perfect but readable

p36 Graphics Output:  I think LO distribution = a distro's repo version of LO, as opposed to the official TDF version.

p37 3rd button mouse paste.  I don't know which way round it does work.  Is it at cursor or mouse-arrow?

p47-48 Import - Use 'English (USA)' locale for numbers: confirmed, it definitely is duplicated

All nicely found Hazel.  I am sorry i got in the way there.  I just wanted to quickly confirm your points but somehow got entangled the wrong way around.
Thanks,apols and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hazel,
Thanks for your work. Some very good catches there!

Tom, a few comments on your comments...

p20 "help" bullet-point:  I hadn't noticed before.  It does seem a bit clumsy, unlike the rest.  perhaps speech-marks would help?

Clumsy wasn't the point. Two "reference not found" errors were the
point. These are now fixed (though I haven't uploaded the corrected
files yet).

p36 Graphics Output:  I think LO distribution = a distro's repo version of LO, as opposed to the official TDF version.

Yes. We can consider rewording next time.

p37 3rd button mouse paste.  I don't know which way round it does work.  Is it at cursor or mouse-arrow?

Cursor position. Now changed.

p47-48 Import - Use 'English (USA)' locale for numbers: confirmed, it definitely is duplicated

Yes. Now changed.

--Jean