Publishing activities

On the principle of "publish early and often", today I've published several chapters of the Getting Started guide (v3.4) that have been languishing on the Review List for too long. Only one chapter is left (Andrew's chapter on macros) and I've pinged him about it. As always, people are welcome to submit corrections to the published chapters. Meanwhile, I'll start preparing to compile a full book.

I published Peter's Impress Guide chapter 6 (v 3.5) with only trivial changes. Actually, I didn't read it closely. Hazel might like to copy edit it, even though it's published.

The Writer Guide is moving along and close to complete, thanks to JohnS's excellent work. I probably failed to mention that I published Ch12 on ToCs & Indexes, which is much improved by John.

Is anyone updating the Calc Guide to v3.5? Or the Draw Guide?

Wow!!  Fantastic :)  Thanks Jean :)  The wiki-page
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
is looking really good again now.  Impress has been handled neatly and is looking good now.  GS and Writer are almost complete.  Only 3 chapters short across 2 guides now :slight_smile:

In the wiki-page, the main introduction
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#Official_Documentation
says "chat with us on IRC" but the link doesn't work.  Can i just delete that sentence.  We don't have irc do we?  For some reason i avoid irc generally, it's real-time isn't it?

The new preface for the GS Guide is good.  In the "Free LibreOffice Support" section it lists "Faqs" but then only gives 1.  It would be nice to link to the Faq on the wiki as well as the official one.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq
Some of the other links in that section give 2 links, an official one and the wiki equivalent with the wiki one being 2nd in the list.

I've downloaded it but I haven't checked it out as I think that's inappropriate for a published chapter. I warn you, I don't have v3.5 on my box so I can't judge for content or screenshots, only for style.

Tom,

In the wiki-page, the main introduction
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#Official_Documentation
says "chat with us on IRC" but the link doesn't work.  Can i just delete that sentence.  We don't have irc do we?  For some reason i avoid irc generally, it's real-time isn't it?

The IRC info, and the phone call info somewhere in the pages, is
obsolete (in the sense of unused by the Docs team, despite David N's
best efforts early on), so I would say delete it... if you haven't
already done so.

The new preface for the GS Guide is good.  In the "Free LibreOffice Support" section it lists "Faqs" but then only gives 1.  It would be nice to link to the Faq on the wiki as well as the official one.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq
Some of the other links in that section give 2 links, an official one and the wiki equivalent with the wiki one being 2nd in the list.

Good suggestion; I'll amend that. BTW, that info was relocated from
Appendix B. Glad to see someone's reading it now!

It's only recently that the Faq on the wiki has become useful.  At the moment it's about the only place we really deal with Base.  The first couple of chapters for the published guides are a good start there.