Base Chapter 2: Designing and planning your database

I have put a copy of this in the feedback folder on the ODF site. It contains Mark's comments on content and a lot of small stylistic changes by me.

As a general comment, I don't agree with Dan's use of "DBMS" and "RDBMS", as I think these terms should refer to software (such as Base), not to data. My preferred terms are "database" and "relational database".

Hi :slight_smile:
I prefer the use of words rather than initials as long as those words are carefully defined earlier or in a glossary at the end (or both) so that people learn to use the correct words in the right way.  I think it's a fairly minor issue tho and i'm happy either way.

Management System) / RDBMS
(Relational DataBase Management System) are terms that refer to the
software that manages
databases, while "database" is meant to refer to the data that is being managed.

RDBMS would be your HSQLDB, MySQL, Sqlite or whatever.

I don't think "Base" should be described as a RDBMS though, it is just
a frontend to several of
them.

Cheers,
Pantelis

Can BASE create a cluster and delete it ? I was not aware of this ... this
would be AWESOME !!

Rogerio