3.5 crashing unless a Java JRE is installed

I came across a series of crashes a couple days ago because Java was not installed with 3.5. Checking through the Options showed that no Java JRE was automatically installed. So, checking my hard drive showed that my system had two versions of JREs.

Manually adding the more recent (possibly, a year old) JRE through the Options fixed that problem--version 1.7 was installed, BTW.

On another matter, I am experiencing some problems with generating a ToC, which seem transitory, and quite likely are bug-related.

Beta 3.5 did not install all those numerous list paragraph styles that earlier OO and LO versions did . However, the 3.5.0 release has reinstalled them--as before--it seems.

Gary

We are the documentation (user guides, translations, manuals) and honestly
most of us know squat about the inner functionalities of the program per
se.

Please subscribe to the user list or dev list or make a bug report.

Sorry, but you are talking to the wrong croud :)))

Best wishes

Rogerio

DUH! If the implementation crashes because a Java JRE is not automatically installed any longer (assuming that was the intent because LO is becoming less dependent on Java...), then, perhaps, the so-called documentation project might make steps to include mentioning that in its documentation.

Adding a JRE is very simple to do by a user, BTW. Nevertheless, such users should be taught how to do so by the so-called documentation project.

Just my dos centavos...

Gary

Hi :slight_smile:
OOo used to install java while it was being installed.  However, java upgrades so often nowadays, that the safest way to keep up is to let the users upgrade java separately.  LO 3.5.0 was meant to work with java 1.7.0 but the 1.7.0 has still not been released properly yet.  There were rumours that malware was already able to compromise the 1.7.0.  Avoiding java seems like a good aim.  Just my 2cents.

I'm not sure about the ToC issue either tbh.

Unfortunately, starting a few days ago, v 3.5.0 kept systematically crashing while performing basic tasks, requiring a lengthy irksome restart, etc. each time.

The dialog box warning specified that a JRE was not present. Knowing just where in the Options to check for the Java JRE (a relatively simple no-brainer for most...), it was obvious that there was no JRE installed automatically, as was the case for eons already.

Installing a JRE to effect Java1.7 stopped all such crashes since.

Gary

Hi :slight_smile:
Perhaps one of your Extensions is messing things up?  Perhaps try renaming your user profile to see if that helps
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/UserProfile

It's not clear what module/app of LO you were using nor which "basic functions".  Most of the apps have managed top write out a lot of java dependency but there is still some in the wizards and of course in the Extensions.  If you are using Base then it would be a good idea to move your data out of the embedded HSqlDb into an external back-end, as people have been suggesting for over a year now.

It seems a lot of people have been having problems with the 3.5.0 and so it has often been recommended that people go back to the 3.4.5.  Crashes seem pretty rare tho even in the 3.5.0.  Note that the 3.5.1 has still not been released so it might be a good time to test it and post bug-reports against it to help get things fixed for the 3.5.x branch.

I am a subcontractor adapting MS Word DOTX templates to OO/LO for an international IT consortium for its primary contractor. They prefer LO over OO because of LO's limited ability to import MS Visio VSD graphics. Unfortunately, version 3.5 is the first LO version to import VSD graphics (open the VSD with Draw, select and copy the graphics onto the clipboard, and paste into Writer, BTW).

So, like it or not, I must employ v 3.5. I generally like it.

Some of my (only a few) problems could have originated with v 3.4.x or the 3.5 betas. Who knows? I also noticed that all the borders of about half of the dozen or more tables in one OTT template had disappeared recently.

Gary

Hi :slight_smile:
I have a good feeling about the 3.5.1 although i am getting a little worried about the delay.

Oh! That problem came back? Years ago, with other version, I have this
problem that OpenOffice doesn't start if I didn't install any Java. So
I've installed it and all worked fine. Later this problem was littlest,
it only bother me once and again saying "Java is not installed".
Interesting...

Regards
Sylvia