Alfresco site update

Hi guys,

There is at least a little "good news" to tell: the docs team's
content is available for download by browsing the "CMIS repository"
link on meda.libreoffice.org.

Thanks to Christian Lohmaier for managing to restore access to it:

Hi David, *,

recovered access to the site by throwing away indexes and having
alfresco regenerate them.

tomcat/webapps/alfresco/WEB-INF/classes/alfresco/repository.properties
index.recovery.mode=FULL

Note however that alfresco still generates errors (like
smtp.example.com, not finding some config files,...)

I still have not yet been able to properly log into the site, but I'll
be working on this on Sunday. Once Alfresco is properly up and running
again, the docs team can take decisions about where it wants to store
its content in future.

I'll be downloading the existing content before taking any other action.

I'll post back about this over the weekend.

Hi,

Further update with "good news":

I still have not yet been able to properly log into the site, but I'll
be working on this on Sunday. Once Alfresco is properly up and running
again, the docs team can take decisions about where it wants to store
its content in future.

I have now succeeded in loging in to the site, and "service is back to
normal": the repo is back online with all the team's data seeming to
be intact (my previous inability to log in was due to a proxy
configuration problem).

P.S. All previously-existing user accounts are intact, with the same
passwords. If anyone requires a new password because they've lost the
old one, please raise your hand and I'll send you a new one.

Hi :slight_smile:
Good work chap :)  Thanks.  People are settled into using ODFAuthors right now and there has been a lot of work on quite a few chapters.

So, this is a good time to upgrade Alfresco if you want and check the upgrades are working with no more wrinkles.  I think you are saying that you have already done that but i'm not certain.  I can dig out the email address of the other chap that was keen to learn to help with Alfresco so that we can see if he is still keen.

I haven't tested my login yet so i will give that a try soon too.
Congrats, thanks and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi Tom,

So, this is a good time to upgrade Alfresco if you want and check the upgrades are working with no more wrinkles.  I think you are saying that you have already done that but i'm not certain.  I can dig out the email address of the other chap that was keen to learn to help with Alfresco so that we can see if he is still keen.

All the upgrading is complete. There is no further work to do in that
respect. Whether or not the team still wishes to use Alfresco is a
debate that I'll leave you guys to decide about.

I can only point out that, when left in peace and not bullied,
Alfresco has been pretty stable and reliable. The only outages were
entirely due to human error: the last upgrade was incorrectly
executed. I certainly wouldn't see any need to upgrade the platform
any further until long into the future: all past issues are now
resolved (non-handling of accented characters in folder names: fixed;
intermittent failures with multiple-file uploads: *vastly* improved).

Hi Tom, guys,

The only other thing I can add is that I have tried hard to involve
other people in the administration of the VPS that Alfresco is
installed on, and of the Alfresco platform itself. That includes
people from the LibreOffice project (notably the TDF sysadmin team),
people from the Alfresco project, people from Apache OO.o and
technical support that I've paid for privately.

It is not a satisfactory situation to have an important team resource
such as an ECM system dependent on one single person's management.

If it is decided to use Alfresco in the future, I'm firmly hoping that
TDF sysadmins and others will share the admin workload. This is
essential for reliable, trouble-free operation.

Hi :slight_smile:
My opinion doesn't really count as i don't do any of the editing.  It would be good to hear from the people doing the work.

However, i think it would be good to return to the Alfresco method.  It is a bright, fresh interface that could help the translations teams.  We do still have wiki-pages describing how to use it.  Some of it has been "commented-out" temporarily but it's easy to reinstate.

Moving back would mean that we have a fairly recent back-up on another site so even if we stay at ODFAuthors i think it is a good idea to get all the updated chapters back over to Alfresco just in case ODFAuthors goes down or becomes inacessible.

It would help a lot if the instructions on using our Alfresco setup were brought up to date. I'm a bit reluctant to move back until that is done.

David, what are the chances of your getting time to do this within the next week?

Other than that, I'm happy to go with whatever the other active members decide.

Jean

We of the Brazilian translation team could give Alfresco a try ... IF I
could get the workflow fixed AND simple so I can show the guys ... we are
in the process of updating the workfow form a wiki amaturesque one to a
more standarized model ...so if we could get something working on Alfresco
it would be grand

Rogerio

Hi Jean, Rogerio, *,

I'll start work on Monday on revising the Alfresco section of the
contributor's guide, with screenshots and explanations. I'll be
finished by Wednesday latest.

I'm thinking that the said section might be content specifically for
English docs team contributors, while I might draft a separate
more-general guide that targets contributors working on the
LibreOffice Alfresco platform from whatever team.

I'll post back when all this is ready for review.

Hi,

I'll start work on Monday on revising the Alfresco section of the
contributor's guide, with screenshots and explanations. I'll be
finished by Wednesday latest.

Where is it / will it be kept? Wiki or ODT?

Nino

Hi,

Where is it / will it be kept? Wiki or ODT?

Well, I had planned and prefer to do it in a .odt and generate a .pdf
at the end but, if people would rather have it on the wiki, I could do
it on the wiki instead.

My strong preference is for ODT, because the Alfresco instructions are part of the Contributor's Guide, which is in ODT. (The chapters can be downloaded from from the wiki.) The instructions could, of course, also be wikified and put on the wiki in that form as well. I had always intended for all of the Contributor's Guide to be in wiki format as well as ODT, but obviously that hasn't happened yet.

Or you could start with wiki and we can generate an ODT from that; it will need a bit of tweaking, but that's not a big drama.

My strong preference is for ODT, because the Alfresco instructions are part of the Contributor's Guide, which is in ODT.

.odt it will be then.

Hi
I suggest we finish LO3.4 on ODF and move to Alfresco for LO3.5
John

Hi :slight_smile:
That sounds pretty smart to me.  Dan on Base can choose without really affecting other people i think.

Hi Jean, guys,

David, what are the chances of your getting time to do this within the next week?

I have checked-out the Alfresco section of the contributor guide (on
Alfresco...) and will be working on it for the next few days. But I
probably won't get it finished for Wednesday as such, due to a client
project. Let's say it'll be done by the end of the coming weekend.

Hi!

I prefer .odt and .pdf