Getting Started with Base

The Report section has been rewritten to include the basics for
using the Report Builder extension. It is now in the Draft folder of
the Getting Started Guide folder. Along with it is a zip file of the
screenshots that I replaced throughout the chapter. The replaced
screenshots were probably taken before we went to the XP silver theme.
     Now if I could only get Chapter 2 of the Base Guide done before
Jean arrives back from the frozen south ... I just might make it.

--Dan

Hi :slight_smile:
I think these chapters are really helping people on the Users List.  We are getting far more questions about Base now and more of those are new to databases generally.  Being able to point at documentation helps but a lot of the questions are amore advanced than those 2 chapters deal with.

Hopefully more interest in Base will lead to more devs working on it.  So, keep up the good work it is much appreciated! :)

I also have preliminary copies of chapters 3 and 4 of the Base
Guide. I hope to have them uploaded in the ODFAuthors web site with the
first two chapters.

--Dan

Hi :slight_smile:
Are you happy enough with them to put them on the wiki as "drafts", like we did with chapter 2?  I don't know enough about using Base nor about the ODFAuthors site to proof-read.  Hazel?  Any chance of proof-reading any of them?

I can download them from the ODF site if Dan puts them in the
drafts folder. I don't think I'm registered on the LO wiki. I was
registered on wiki.services.openoffice.org but I assume LO has its
own wiki site.

Location of the Getting Started with Base chapter:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo3.4/getting-started-with-base/view .
The ODFAuthors web site has a section for LO and OOo. I have some
chapters in both of these two sections.
     I have changed my mind about uploading chapters 3 and 4 to the LO
section of the ODFAuthors web site. Instead I recommend that people be
directed to
http://www.odfauthors.org/openoffice.org/english/userguide3/db3/dbg3_draft for the draft copies of these chapters. While they are written for OOo, they will work with LO until we can get the chapters written for LO. This link to these two chapters can be used by anyone to download a copy. The chapter names are Data Input and Removal, and Data Output respectively. These names should be used along with the link so he people will know what to look for.

--Dan

Hi Hazel :slight_smile:
If you can proof-read them at ODFAuthors site then we can worry about uploading to the wiki later.  I think Dan can upload to the LO wiki.  It is a different one from the OOo one.

Hi Hazel :slight_smile:
If you can proof-read them at ODFAuthors site then we can worry about uploading to the wiki later. I think Dan can upload to the LO wiki. It is a different one from the OOo one.

     Yes, I'm registered at the LO Wiki, so I can upload the file when
you finish your editing and I look over it.

--Dan

Hi Dan :slight_smile:
You are already registered at the LO wiki.  In the history i can see your name
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/index.php?title=Documentation/Publications&action=history

OK, I've checked this one out and downloaded it. I'll put it in the feedback folder when I've finished.

Have they changed the way things are done on this site? You used to retract things, not check them out.

Hi :slight_smile:
Perhaps it is just to make it more familiar to people that were using Alfresco?  It might make it easier to move back maybe?  I really don't know and am just clutching at straws here.

Helen:
Would you do me a favor and proofread the attached document also. It
belongs in the Gettting Started with Base Chapter just before "Creating
Tables with Design View" page 11. (It should follow the section,
"Creating a table by copying an existing table" )
     I am sending a CC to you with the attachment so you will get it.
The email to the list lets you know it is coming from me.

--Dan

No attachments onlist, use a outside folder (dropbox) or put ir on the wiki
and link it to us

Rogerio

I understand that this mailing list strips all attachments. I also
know that if I send an email to this list with a CC to the individual,
the list will contain only my message while the individual will receive
both. Please reread the second paragraph as to the purpose of the email
with its CC.

--Dan

I give this information for future searches on the list archives ... no
sweat, sorry if it felt like a "correction" :slight_smile:

R.