The License to Translate Ooo Basic Guide

Ok so there is someone in the Brazilian team that is interested in
translating the Ooo's BasicGuide for macro programing.

What I would like to know is how did we get the first Writer book converted
to LibO ?

1) What did we do with the license?

I am about to change the template form Ooo's docs do our own, can I use the
license we use usually?

Since it is a translation, do I need to bother?

Rogerio

Production of translations is an exclusive right of copyright holders. You'll need to see what the original license permits.

Hi :slight_smile:
I think the documentation has always been released under a Creative Commons license i think a  CC-by-SA (whatever that means)
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons
So it can be shared, modified and re-released under a suitable license.  Using the same license is probably the easiest but it's worth finding out what that license means
Good luck and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi Rogerio,

Ok so there is someone in the Brazilian team that is interested in
translating the Ooo's BasicGuide for macro programing.

It depends of what guides you're talking about. The one originally produced by Sun were under the PDL licence and ported to the wiki under this licence

What I would like to know is how did we get the first Writer book converted
to LibO ?

Are you speaking about the OOoAuthors guide? They are double licenced under GPL and CC by 3.0
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

1) What did we do with the license?

You have to respect what is said in the license.

I am about to change the template form Ooo's docs do our own, can I use the
license we use usually?

If they are not incompatible, you can add your license but you have to preserve the previous ones.

Since it is a translation, do I need to bother?

yes, a translation is not a creation, it's a derived work.

Kind regards
Sophie

Here is the link for the guide I refer to ... it is the Basic-programming
language guide

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/d/dd/BasicGuide_OOo3.2.0.odt

Rogerio

Hi Rogerio

Hi Rogerio,

Ok so there is someone in the Brazilian team that is interested in
translating the Ooo's BasicGuide for macro programing.

It depends of what guides you're talking about. The one originally
produced by Sun were under the PDL licence and ported to the wiki under
this licence

Here is the link for the guide I refer to ... it is the Basic-programming
language guide

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/d/dd/BasicGuide_OOo3.2.0.odt

So it's under PDL license, a license we have written several time ago now :wink: Your translated document needs to be under the same license and a copy of the license must be provided with the document.
You have to fill and add the appendix to your document mentioning the initial contributor and the new contributors of the modified document and their contact. You don't need to list the modifications made.
There is no restriction to the modifications you are allowed to make to the document, you can change it as you like (FDL allow to block some parts, but not the PDL).
You may add any license compatible to this one if you want.
The PDL is available here: http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/PDL.html

Kind regards
Sophie

The original document does not have the license in it it has a link to the
site of the license, can this be used in our translation?

And in my copy there is no mention to the contributors to this document,
how do I find them out ?

Rogerio