About FAQ

Hi :slight_smile:
I don't know French but i liked their approach.  I think i did add a minor page i picked up from somewhere about Base, possibly, but i tried to avoid doing anything too much until the docs team had decided whether they preferred
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Faq
or
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/FAQ
and also whether to do the sub-pages like this
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Faq/Writer
so that the docs team could use pages such as
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Writer
for notes more relevant to the docs team itself or for fuller guides rather than Faqs.

Changing the style later on would be a nightmare so i would like to get it right first time but it's the type of thing people have no opinion about until after it's set-up and then criticise which-ever way it's done.  I got ditracted by stupid nonsense at work (they wanted to install MS Office 2010 on a few machines but not all of them and change a number of other systems that worked fine to newer systems that we have no idea will work or not).

Would it help if i used google-translate to do a mass translation of all the French pages?  It would probably be a tad rough!  Perhaps a good enough start?

I haven't got much time. I try to contribute here and there.
I just wanted to ask some questions.

About French translation, I would be a little "scared" about result of
Google Translation. However, I never really tested so...

A great thing would be to be like Wikipedia for languages ie an entry in a
specific language would give the links at the left for other languages.
Perhaps I missed this feature but I didn't see it.

I hope structure will be soon defined. Once it will be, it'll go faster I
think because it'll be clear for everybody.
According to what you said, it seems it doesn't really worth to add some FAQ
entries for the moment.

So let's wait :slight_smile:

Julien.

Hi :slight_smile:
Errr i think it is worth adding to the French Faq.  The structure is stable.  Quite a few people have worked on it and the French lists have discussed it quite a bit and presumably settled different ideas.

It's the English one that may change quite a bit.  Even so it's good to add a couple of pages or whatever.

The language selector is at the top of the page rather than down the side.  However no other languages seem to have an Faq at all, or perhaps they do something radically different

Putting English "translations" into good English is one of the things I
do. If anything of that kind becomes necessary, just ping me.

Hi :slight_smile:
Oh wow!  If we could get the wiki Faq done before Jean gets back that would be really awesome.  Even if we could just get a decent chunk of it done that would be great.

The main focus has to be the 3.4.x proper guides, or at least the Writer and GS books.  Getting one of those 2 completed before Jean gets back would probably be best for her morale.  Then she can upload them to Lulu for us.

I don't know what to do for when she gets back.  Something to let her know we care.  We can't throw a party can we?