ODFAuthors

Hi.
Again, a little help please.
When Alfresco went down, I still had the Writer chapter on my machine which I had posted there.

On ODF, I locked the file "Writer Guide > To be updated to LO3.4 > Ch11".
I've uploaded my copy of Writer Ch11 into the "Feedback LO3.4" folder of the Writer Guide.
This leaves two copies of the Ch11 file in the "To be updated to LO3.4" folder.
One is the locked file, and the other is the 'working copy'.
Do I leave these files alone or do I delete them?. How do I deal with the locked file?.
In the "Actions" menu for the locked file, I have the options to "Cut", "Copy", "Delete" or "Rename".
In the "Actions" menu for the the working copy, I have the same four plus "Check in" and "Cancel check out".

I am not writing new chapters, only updating and changing existing chapters as required. All my work has to be checked over I'm afraid.

Regards, John

Hi John :slight_smile:
Which version do you want to have deleted?  The older one or the newer one?  or not sure?

I'm sorry about the muddle that was caused by Alfresco going down.  We thought it would be a smooth update!  Thanks for helping pull the team through the muddle by getting your chapters up onto ODFAuthors so quickly.

Pretty much everyone has to have their work checked / proofread.  I think Jean is able to proof-read her own sometimes but just having a fresh pair of eyes helps make things a lot smoother.  Similarly for filing and infra-structure.  It's team-work that pulls everyone through.  Hardly anyone has all the right answers all the time!

Sigrid is also being a total star and very much appreciated!
Many thanks to all and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hi John,

Hi.
Again, a little help please.
When Alfresco went down, I still had the Writer chapter on my machine
which I had posted there.

On ODF, I locked the file "Writer Guide > To be updated to LO3.4 >
Ch11". I've uploaded my copy of Writer Ch11 into the "Feedback LO3.4"
folder of the Writer Guide.
This leaves two copies of the Ch11 file in the "To be updated to
LO3.4" folder.
One is the locked file, and the other is the 'working copy'.
Do I leave these files alone or do I delete them?. How do I deal with
the locked file?.
In the "Actions" menu for the locked file, I have the options to
"Cut", "Copy", "Delete" or "Rename".
In the "Actions" menu for the the working copy, I have the same four
plus "Check in" and "Cancel check out".

In the German team we use a similar system to what you're used to from
Alfresco. If you have used the check out and want to upload the new
file, you can do this in that way:
- Go to the working copy, in the left side of the green menu bar (with
  "View", "Edit" and "Sharing" click on "Edit".
- There you can add some comments about what you did, you can chose
  either to "Keep existing file" or "replace file with" and you can
  then browse to the corresponding file on your computer. Click on
  "Save".
- When this is done, you can then click on the "Check in" in the
  actions menu. Then the old file will be replaced with your new file.
- To see earlier versions of the same file, you can click on the
  "History" link.

So, now to your problem:
Since you have your file already uploaded into the feedback folder,
just cancel your checkout. And I think you should be able to move the
"original" file from the "To be updated..." folder to the e. g. "Old
Drafts" folder. (I'm not sure if this is correct - look at the email
from Jean to see, how she had intended this).

If you can't move the document through say "Copy & Paste", just send a
note and I will do it for you.

But I do think, adopting a similar workflow like I've described above,
would be a good idea. But this is a decision that the English team has
to take.

Sigrid

Hi Sigrid

Again, thanks for your help.
Following your work-flow does the job nicely. Everything is now in order and I'm happy with what I've done.

Great job.

John