wiki: uploading to

Hi :slight_smile:

Basically just get to the wiki, doesn't have to be the docs page but it feels more comfortable from there

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications

Top-right click on "Log in / create account".  You have to set-up an
account for yourself if you haven't already got one for the LO wiki
(different from main wikipedia or other projects).  I found it didn't
like the complexity of my normal password algorithm so i had to go with
"password" for a while!  You can always change it later after you have
got a bit more familiar with wiki-editing.  Obviously "password" is the
number 1 worst password to choose!  Then the 'panel' down the far
left-hand-side that contains the main ToC for the whole wiki, main
sections are; Wiki, Navigation, Toolbox.  Near the bottom of toolbox is
"Upload file" (just above "Special pages") which gets you to this page

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Special:Upload

Then it's very much the same as doing an attachment to an email except
that you can only do 1 at a time (i think).  Try to get the file-name
in the same style as Jean's although i think it probably already is.
You can see the list of uploads here ...

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Special:ListFiles

which is linked to from the main upload page.  Note there are a lot of
teams uploading stuff so you might have to scroll down the list a bit.
Some of the thumbnails show a lot but odts are shown as a blank page
and pdfs just show the adobe logo.

Getting a link to the file onto the right page is another story but if
you look at the coding you can figure it out easily enough, probably.
If the page is showing the wysiwyg gui editor that looks a bit like a
simplified Writer then click on "Show/hide" to change to coding
(wiki-mark-up).  Don't worry if it gets a little messy as other people
can tidy-up or undo if it's really bad. I quite enjoy tidying up after people have done the real work of getting the info up there.

Sorry, too much petty detail again :frowning:

Just get to the page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
Log in / Create account. Then get to this page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Special:Upload
After uploading get back to this page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
to edit it to add a link to the upload.

Thanks for the info Tom.

I shall be trying to upload tomorrow and this will be a first. Never uploaded to a wiki before.

Regards

Peter

Hi :slight_smile:
Don't worry.  We are here to help and there are guides even if i can't find them right now.  Wikipedia probably has some good pages on how-to do wiki-editing.

As usual i have made it sound far trickier than it really is.

and be sure to use the [[Media:…]] syntax for the link, not a [http://…]
syntax (as the latter points to a cached document instance and can change with
time).

Hi :slight_smile:
I can always tidy that up if mistakes like that are made.  The main thing is trying to get the files and info up there to start with.  It is a good point though if you can get it right first time that would be great but no worries if it's not perfect.

Hello Tom

I followed your instructions and the GS Chap 06 Impress was uploaded on 17 Jan 2012 to the wiki (http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications). I have just done a test download of the ODT file and the PDF file and everything seems to be working. Please check for me if you have the time.

Regards

Peter

Hi :slight_smile:
Sorry i missed out that to confirm yoru action you have to scroll right down the to the bottom of the page to click on the button "Upload file" or "Save page" depending which thing you are trying to do.

So i think the 3.4.x GS Ch 06 still seems to be the older version.  I am really sorry about missing that detail!

Hello Tom

Just checked at http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications and the file is the one I uploaded for Version 3.4.4.

Regards

Tom

Hi :slight_smile:
I wiil have a look when i get to work.  It se4ems that my machine is stuck on an old version of the page or something weird.  My machine should be ok by this evening but i should be able to contact you in about 2 hours from work.

Hi :))

WoooHooo, yes you did do it all perfectly. Sorry it has taken me so long to
work it out. The list of uploaded files here
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Special:ListFiles
shows you uploaded the file. I got confused because you didn't need to edit
the wiki-page as the existing link points to the right place.

So, many thanks :slight_smile:
Congrats and regards from
Tom :slight_smile: