OOo-Kindle Extension & LibreOffice

Hi :slight_smile:

This LibreOffice-Kindle Extension might be of interest to people wanting to self-publish books to avoid needing to use a publishing house.  It is proprietary and costs quite a lot until you compare it to the costs of alternatives.
http://www.kindletemplate.com/

It has not been extensively tested against LibreOffice but has been used with OpenOffice for quite some time.  There might be an opportunity for a couple of people to get involved with testing and perhaps upgrading this for LibreOffice.

This is certainly of interest to me for publishing the LO user guides (among other things), if it handles large numbers of graphics well. I won't be available to follow up until late February, but I'll contact Brian, the developer, to indicate my interest.

I think i heard a rumour that it costs £300 (or something) so it's more likely to be useful for individuals rather than the team.  If anyone here has any clout with the BoD then it might be good to think about getting them to purchase a copy for Jean as a "thank you".

I often feel weird about proprietary stuff because so many people here put in so much good quality work as volunteers.  Still, hopefully some people have external projects that might be more profitable with something like this.  Definitely don't just buy into stuff like this without looking into it more.  I was hoping a few people might wangle a free (or very reduced) copy for testing purposes (for their own projects) but i don't know if Brian would go for that.

No, it's only US$67 for the template (which includes training on,
among other things, submitting the results to Amazon, Apple, etc). The
larger sum is if you have them do the conversion work for you.

--Jean

I forgot to say, book-production-related expenses like this are
covered by Friends of OpenDocument Inc, the organisation that does the
actual publishing. Of course, if/when The Document Foundation chooses
to publish the user guides directly, instead of using Friends of's
services, then it would be a different deal.

Ahh great! :)  If "Friends of OpenDocument" are getting some of the profits then there might already be enough money to cover it.  The price sounds much more reasonable than i thought!  The BoD are very unhelpful about covering things like this so hopefully "Friends of ..." are less unhelpful!