Alfresco: server down, troubleshooting in progress

Hi guys,

The server is currently inaccessible for a reason that I am currently
figuring out. When I last checked it about 9 hours ago, it was fine,
but now I find that the login page is messed up in presentation and
that it's not accepting my login credentials.

I'm working on this right now and I'll mail back with news in a while.

I uploaded a bunch of files this morning and was in the middle of
amending some metadata when the server went down around 7AM-ish
(Brisbane time). It had been acting a bit flakey for a half hour or so
before that: occasionally not accepting a change I submitted. I don't
know if any of that is at all relevant, but thought I'd let you know.

(I was then away doing other things for around 4 hours and came back
to find the messed-up login page and your note.)

--Jean

Hi Jean, Dan,

I am consulting with Jeff Potts about this, and also my own tech
support. We'll find a solution to this ASAP and I'll get back to you
here.

Sorry for this outage. More soon.

Sorry, guys, it looks like the best solution is to roll back to our
3.4 platform of Dec 22, 2011. I'll keep you posted, though...

I think that before upgrading from 3.4 to 4 we have to try to upgrade
a vanilla installation of Alfresco to test the migration patches, and
if this procedure will be correctly executed and tested, we can try to
upgrade the current repository.

I have to test the migration procedure because all the Alfresco
partners must only work on the Enterprise version and now the latest
version is Alfresco 3.4.x. I can work on this task this week.

Could you please create an Alfresco account for me?
Could you please give me some hints about ssh access?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Piergiorgio

Hi :slight_smile:
Ahh it is great to see you are still willing to help!  I was wondering about asking the website mailing-list if anyone there might be able to help until we got your message.  David is a bit snowed-under but hopefully might be able to spare some time to help get you in.

Many thanks and regards from

Ahh it is great to see you are still willing to help!  I was wondering about asking the website mailing-list if anyone there might be able to help until we got your message.  David is a bit snowed-under but hopefully might be able to spare some time to help get you in.

Many thanks and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

Thank you Tom for your message!

I have to spent time on try a vanilla upgrade of Alfresco, but I have
found in the official wiki of Alfresco that the Community version has
an issue about upgrade from 3.4 to 4.0b [1]:

"Upgrades from a pre Alfresco 4.0 will not work correctly as the
avmToAdmRemoteStore patch will not be run. The workaround is to
upgrade first to 4.0.a or apply patch "patch-ALF-11029-context.xml" by
dropping patch file into <tomcat>/shared/classes/alfresco/extension
BEFORE upgrade. The patch can found attached to Jira ticket ALF-11029.
If you have already upgraded to 4.0.b then some of the user site
preferences would have been reset.This issue has been fixed in nightly
build, so a nightly build can also be used instead, please visit
http://dev.alfresco.com/downloads/nightly/dist/ for latest nightly
build."

This means that before upgrading to 4.0b it is necessary to upgrade
from the latest version of 3.4 (3.4.e) directly to 4.0a, then 4.0b,
then 4.0c. Otherwise the migration process will fail corrupting the
repository.

Hope this helps :wink:

I'll wait news about my credentials to contribute on your installation.

Cheers,
Piergiorgio

[1] https://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/Alfresco_Community_4.0.b_Release_Notes

Are you in direct contact with David Nelson? He's said that might be
more efficient than sending mail to him through the list.
commerce@traduction.biz

I think the problem might be what to do if the patch was not applied before upgrading.  I suspect the release note appeared on their wiki as a result of David, ie after we had upgraded without the patch.

Thanks for looking into this and exploring Alfresco and their wiki.  It looks like being very valuable to the team.
Thanks and regards from
Tom :slight_smile: