Report Builder

The report wizard in both OOo and LO gives a choice of a static or
dynamic report. Where is this choice in the Report Builder? I can't find
it. Or, has it been decided that a static report no longer serves a
purpose?
     I know that limitations can be placed upon the query or view upon
which the report is based. This might take the place of a static report.
But would this always be the case? I don't know.
     Example: a report shows an abnormality. After this is corrected,
data is modified in the database. Run the report again, and the
abnormality might disappear. Where is the proof that the abnormality
every existed? Just a thought.
     This is going to both lists in case someone from one of them knows
the answer.

--Dan

Hi Dan,

I was the community volunteer QA who helped the report builder
developer, to remove bugs from the application.

You can create static report with report designer only when you use the
report wizard.

In design view no option to run report as static report.

The static report was no question, during times when I participated in
report builder development.
No issue/bug was opened on it.

Regards,

Hi Zoltan

I think this is a case where the term doesn't carry over from the one
tool to the other.

In the case of the Report Wizard you can save the results into the ODB
wrapper and then when it's opened next you need to have designated
whether it will be treated as a template or document. If template the
report definition saved in the hidden fields is re-run, in the case of
the document (static report) it is simply opened.

In the case of the Report Designer an actual report definition, as a
unique type, is introduced. So after running a report definition you
create the equivalent of the Wizard's static report simply by saving the
ODT or ODS file generated. When you execute a save function in the
Designer interface you are always saving only the definition back into
the ODB wrapper.

I hope that helps,

//drew

> Hi Dan,
>
> I was the community volunteer QA who helped the report builder
> developer, to remove bugs from the application.
>
> You can create static report with report designer only when you use the
> report wizard.
>
> In design view no option to run report as static report.
>
> The static report was no question, during times when I participated in
> report builder development.
> No issue/bug was opened on it.
>
> Regards,
Hi Zoltan

I think this is a case where the term doesn't carry over from the one
tool to the other.

In the case of the Report Wizard you can save the results into the ODB
wrapper and then when it's opened next you need to have designated
whether it will be treated as a template or document. If template the
report definition saved in the hidden fields is re-run, in the case of
the document (static report) it is simply opened.

In the case of the Report Designer an actual report definition, as a
unique type, is introduced. So after running a report definition you
create the equivalent of the Wizard's static report simply by saving the
ODT or ODS file generated. When you execute a save function in the
Designer interface you are always saving only the definition back into
the ODB wrapper.

I hope that helps,

//drew

Sorry for the double post - but I assume Dan is asking because of his
work on the manual, so I wanted to just add another piece of information
here.

One of the side effects of this change is the following:

In the case of the Report Wizard generated document (static report if
you will) the report definition (query, grouping, etc) is embedded in
the final file, by default. Distribute that file without removing the
hidden fields and you distribute that information also. Now this doesn't
include anything about the actual data connection used, so you aren't
ever going to give up a password or anything like it this way.

There is one thing that is not available, in the Wizard' however which
is any user supplied variables at run time.

What I mean is this.
Say our report is based on the following query:
Select * from FOOBAR where FOOBAR.DATE1 >= :startdate and FOOBAR.DATE
<= :enddate.

Now when the report is run the user is prompted to supply date values
for the two values. In the report wizard there is no way, from the POV
of the report developer, to incorporate the users responses into the
actual body of the report.

Now in the Report Designer things are different.
The designer works with a separate report definition file and uses this
to generate the final report document. The document generated will by
default have none of the information regarding the query, sorting, etc
settings from the report definition, just the data.

However what is now available, to the report developer, is the ability
to reference the user response from any variable values supplied at run
time - the values could then be placed in a report (not page) header for
instance.

At least I think that made it in, I know it was requested and I thought
implemented - though I didn't double check that just now.

IMO that is a fairly significant difference.

//drew

Hi Dan,

I was the community volunteer QA who helped the report builder developer, to remove bugs from the application.

You can create static report with report designer only when you use the report wizard.

In design view no option to run report as static report.

The static report was no question, during times when I participated in report builder development.
No issue/bug was opened on it.

Regards,
Zoltan

[...]

You can put parameters into all places, page/report header/footer.
Zoltan