Chapter 2 of Impress Guide: Styles and Templates

I have finished editing this. LO has chewed up the graphics as usual: first it marked most of them as read errors, then it removed the marked ones altogether. Fortunately I had taken the precaution of making a copy and, when I unzipped this, I was able to retrieve and display the graphics independently using feh.

The problem seems to be getting worse. This was quite a small chapter and there were only 17 graphics altogether. LO shouldn't have choked on it.

When I logged into Alfresco to upload the file, something weird had happened there too. The proofing folder for Impress was empty and there was no possibility of uploading. This isn't my lucky day.

I await instructions.

Hi :slight_smile:
Would it be a good idea to create a new document and copy&paste the contents into a freshly made document?  The documents were never .docs or .docXes were they?

Tom, I don't think the Impress Guide chapters were ever .doc or .docx, but some chapters in the Writer Guide definitely started out as .doc years ago.

Hazel, you can send the file to me and I'll upload it to Alfresco when I get home in a few days. Or perhaps someone else can take care of it. Of course, Alfresco could be having one of its bad days and it might not work for anyone.

--Jean

It happened something like that missing. I'm translating Getting
Started: Styles and Templates to Spanish and I've found missed icons.
Other graphics are ok.

Sylvia

Hi :slight_smile:
Ouch.  I hadn't thought about the translators teams!  Is anyone able to warn the global translators list?  Keeping a copy of the images in a zip file alongside the translated document seems to be a good way of keeping it under control.

But only if people who update graphics also update the zip file of
images. I suspect that I am not the only person who often fails to do
this. --Jean

Hi :slight_smile:
I think the pictures can be copy&pasted from the odt to the zip file any-time before the picture you want to copy vanishes from the odt.  Hopefully the zip-files will contain a version of each screen-shot even if it's not the most recent version.  It's not magically going to happen over-night but it's the sort of thing that gradually gets done over time.  You all seem to have responded to, and dealt with the problem quite quickly.  You may not be completely perfect 100% of the time but you are pretty awesome.

Hello All

I have created separate folders for each chapter of the Impress guide that I have updated in Impress > Draft > Folders & Screenshots on Alfresco. I did this after the upgrade to Alfresco. All the screenshots are PNG format as separate files and are not zipped. IMO this is the best way so that anybody who has missing graphics can download individual files.

Hopefully the way I have named the graphics nobody should have any difficulty in locating a missing graphic. Please let me know your opinions. Also, Alfresco produces thumbnails of each graphic which will also help identifying a graphic.

Regards

Peter

Hi,

Hopefully the way I have named the graphics nobody should have any difficulty in locating a missing graphic. Please let me know your opinions. Also, Alfresco produces thumbnails of each graphic which will also help identifying a graphic.

For those that haven't noticed, if you click on the thumbnail you have
a full preview of any readable file (i.e. most stuff that isn't a .zip
file)... My suggestion would be to place both the unzipped images and
the original .zip archive in the folders.

That way, it's possible to use the very useful tagging and
file-property-editing features of Alfresco to mark up files and
enhance findability. HTH.