AutoText dialog

P LO_3_4_chapter_template.ott mentions using this dialog to create
four autotext entries: three of them are for tables used in our
documents: Tip, Note, and Caution. The fourth is a sample table shown at
the top of page 13 of the template and discussed at the bottom of page
12.
     When these autotext entries are made, they are written to a .bau
file. And I am presently working to create a LO.bau file that will
contain all four of these entries. This file can be used on any computer
running LO and for any language. (Use the dialog to change the name of
the autotext entries.
     I am also writing a short chapter on how to use the AutoText dialog
in our documents for the Contributor's Guide. This I hope to get done
today. It will describe how the uses of the dialog and where to put the
LO.bau file on your computer.
     What I need is some more some more suggestions at to what should be
put into the LO.bau file. Any suggestions as to things you would like to
insert into your document with only a few key strokes?
     On page 11 of the template, Figure 1 contains a picture at the top
with several arrows and a table below the picture. I have created a
table within a form for this. Place the graphic in the top row (all the
cells of this row are merged for this purpose). The columns in the other
rows are formated to hold the numbers and category descriptions and be
the proper dimensions. I further refined this by making two autotext
entries from this. One has six columns in the table just like Figure 1.
The other one has only four columns for graphics with fewer categories.
     The last autotext entry in the LO.bau file for now is a simple
frame. This entry would have the proper formats applied so that the
frame would appear in the proper place. The only adjustment would be
with the frame's width.
     The first version of the LO.bau file is being uploaded to Alfresco:
http://alfresco.libreoffice.org/share/page/repository#filter=path|%
2FEnglish%2FDocumentation%2FResources%2FDraft&page=1. Where should it be
placed if you want to try using it? Open the AutoText dialog (Control
+F3). Then click the Path button in the lower right of the dialog. The
Select Paths dialog opens with two paths listed. The bottom path tells
you where to place the file. (You can't use the top path unless you are
logged on to your computer using an Administrator account anyway.)

--Dan

Why not update that chapter mentioning AutoText with an optional BAU file? At least, then, LO users would know of their existence and utility--even if LO writers or editors might not taste or eat their own home cooking.

There are plenty of other areas that OOo/LO docs in the past have not covered in any depth or at all... Adding some rewriting of new or including previously unmentioned material would not hurt

Gary

The document to accompany the LO.bau file is now basically done and
uploaded to the draft folder of Resorces: UsingAutoTextDialog. It is
written a part of the Contributor's Guide. Some suggestions as to what
to put in the last section of the chapter would be helpful.
     Now to see what I need to update on the wiki for this.

--Dan