Hi,
I gave this a go when I worked on chapter 11 of the Writer guide. I renamed all the graphics as Ch11Figx. Those graphics not in a figure I called Ch11pagex-1,-2 and so on. Re-reading the work I decided to add another two figures at position Fig 14. All the graphics following that insertion point, except the last two in the document, renamed themselves as graphicsx. Strangely non of the in-line graphics past the insertion point, Ch11pagex, changed name. I backed off at this point and left it as it was, thinking that I was creating too much work for the rewards.
John