I figured that changing the file extension from DOC to DOT in the O/S seemed straightforward enough, especially after the resulting "DOT template" seemed to work OK.

Gary

Somebody else's take on that issue...
http://www.techtalkz.com/microsoft-office-word/459780-changing-dot-back-doc.html
*Re: changing .dot back to .doc*
I have used templates (dot) files quite often in Word 2003 (have not migrated
to 2007 yet) but have found a couple of interesting things that might prove
useful.

1. If you save a "dot" file anywhere other than Word's template directory
it generally does not behave any differently than a document saved with the
"doc" extension. You can open it, edit it, overwrite it, rename it, etc.
2. You can create a template using any file containing doc extension simply
by changing the extension to dot and saving it. If you do not specify a path
it will be saved to the template directory.
3. A document with a dot extension will not behave like a template unless
they are saved in Word's template directory (i.e. it is not protected from
overwrite when it is saved anywhere else).
4. When you start a new document using a template from the templates
directory it will automatically be converted to a doc extension when you save
it (i.e. preventing overwrite).
5. You cannot revise a template simply by saving your revised template by
the same name. Word will not allow you to overwrite a template already in
the templates directory.
6. Any template file saved to a directory other than the template
directory when moved to the template directory (i.e. using Windows Explorer)
will behave like any other template in the diretory and will appear on the
templates list when you start a new document.
7. Editing an existing template file is easier if you move it from the
template diretory (i.e using Windows Explorer), change it's extension to doc,
edit it and then simply resave it with the dot extension (this also allows
you to save the template by the same name since it no longer exists in the
template directory)

Hope the above helps