I often had very large (e.g., book) files crash in Word. One client wanted his two book volumes (text and solutions guide) combined for his second edition, which were two very large DOC files with several dozens of Visio graphics, appended together to make one (printed) book. Combining the two DOC files into a larger DOC file was not very stable, and it might crash or it might be OK for a while.

Instead of using Word further, I made DOC subdocuments out of the individual chapters and then offered the author the choice for going to a master document format with either OOo or with FrameMaker instead of an MS Word manuscript. He chose FrameMaker--with the graphics linked from an images folder instead of their being embedded. Never a problem, even after several newer chapters and many more graphics were added.

Gary