[libreoffice-users] Modify a dot file with writer

Hi :slight_smile:
Interesting.  It is possible to Save As a template for Excel (xlt) and for the presentation one but just not for Word.

It is possible to save as an OpenDocument Format template and MS Office 2007 and 2010 claims to be able to read ODFs.  Sadly they can only read the older versions.  To make LO use the older formats try

Tools - Options - +Load/Save - General

In the middle change the drop-down from
"1.2 Extended (recommended)" to
"1.0/1.1"
It might work but it might not.  It's still very possible that MS Office might move pictures/logos around a bit and perhaps other things too.

So, the answer really is no imo.

I simply changed the file extension in the filename using the O/S afterward from DOC to DOT when porting "DOT" files from Writer. Those LO "DOT" files seemed to work OK.

Gary

Hi :slight_smile:
Thanks Gary :)  I thought the difference between doc and dot was more complicated.

Someone on the users list suggested using ODF 1.0 templates instead and the op seems happy with that.  I might send her your suggestion too because it's a neat hackish style way which is really cool :slight_smile:

Thanks and regards from
Tom :slight_smile:

I figured that changing the file extension from DOC to DOT in the O/S seemed straightforward enough, especially after the resulting "DOT template" seemed to work OK.

Gary

Somebody else's take on that issue...
http://www.techtalkz.com/microsoft-office-word/459780-changing-dot-back-doc.html
*Re: changing .dot back to .doc*