Calc User Guide chapter 1

When I downloaded this file, it was 1.2 MB. However many of the pictures failed to load properly into LO. They appeared in the navigator but read errors prevented them from actually displaying in the text.

I saved the document, then reopened it. Now it is only 283 KB and the faulty pictures have disappeared altogether.

I can't reliably judge the text without the illustrations. I don't know if the problem lies with the download from AlFresco or with my LO installation but I simply cannot edit like this. You will just have to continue without me until this problem is cleared up.

I had a similar thing happen to one of my Base chapters that I had
downloaded from Alfresco. When I first opened the file, all of the
pictures loaded properly and were visible in the document. Then for some
unknow reason, some of them disappeared. When I unzipped the document
file, there were only 21 pictures in it. I downloaded another copy it
from Alfresco and unzipped it. It contained 40+ pictures.
     Whatever happened occurred on my computer and it had not happened
before or since. For some reason, there seemed to be a loss of
information in the XML about the pictures which disappeared. So, when
the document was saved, the XML would have no mention of these pictures
nor would the pictures be saved as well.
     I'm wondering if I might have a problem with one of my RAM sticks.
They are several years old and might be developing some bad spots. (I
have already checked my hard drive for possible errors, but it should to
still be in good working order.

--Dan

Let's try an experiment. I'll put the file on the ODFAuthors website. Download it from there and see if it behaves itself.

I'll tell the list when I've done that.

--Jean

I've put the file here:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/calc-guide/draft-lo3.4/ch1-introducing-calc/view

I think I've made it available so anyone can get it without needing to
have an account on the website. If a few people can test it to see if
it behaves, that could be useful for diagnosing the problem. The
filesize, according to the website, is 1.4MB, the same as on my
computer. (I note that the Alfresco site shows the file size as 1MB,
but it downloaded to my machine from there at 1.4MB.)

--Jean

Hazel, I notice you have Getting Started with Calc checked out of
Alfresco. Is that file also giving you trouble? Or is that the file
you were talking about, not Calc Ch1? You don't have the latter
checked out.

--Jean

I've put the file here:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/calc-guide/draft-lo3.4/ch1-introducing-calc/view

I think I've made it available so anyone can get it without needing to
have an account on the website. If a few people can test it to see if
it behaves, that could be useful for diagnosing the problem. The
filesize, according to the website, is 1.4MB, the same as on my
computer. (I note that the Alfresco site shows the file size as 1MB,
but it downloaded to my machine from there at 1.4MB.)

--Jean

    Just downloaded it with having to sign into the website. Size: 1.4
MB. When unzipped, the picture folder contained 60 pictures.

--Dan

I've put the GS with Calc chapter on the ODFAuthors website as well,
for anyone who cares to test it.
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo3.4/ch5-gs-with-calc/view

--Jean

Jean, I have downloaded both and they have all the pictures and the file sizes match and look ok. But I am using a Mac Book Pro now running the Mac Ox Lion so it may not be a good test.

Ian

Hello Jean and Hazel

I have just downloaded and had a quick look using an iMac operating Lion Mac OS 10.7.2. The file size is 1.4Mb and I think all the figures and icons are are there. It is difficult to tell because some of the figures are not numbered.

Comments - in my opinion all figures should be numbered so that whoever looks at a document knows if there are any missing figures. Any icons placed in line with text should be preceded by the word "icon" so that the user can expect to see one.

Regards

Peter Schofield

Hello Jean

Just tried this chapter downloaded onto my iMac and everything looks OK. However, same comment about figures that they should all be numbered so it easier to keep track of them.

Regards

Peter Schofield

Downloaded at a file size of 1.236MB onto WIN XP. Everything looks ok as I go through the pages.

John

PS. Two minor points:
On page 5, in the Spreadsheets, sheets and cells paragraph, should the 3rd paragraph read "In Calc 3.4 " or should it read "From Calc 3.3"?
On page 6, In the Toolbars paragraph, a space has crept into the word "toolbar" which follows the word "Standard".

--
Hazel Russman <hazeldebian@googlemail.com>

Yes, you're right. It was 0105GS34. But I think I cancelled the edit online after firing off that disgusted email, so it shouldn't still be checked out.

Anyway I have downloaded chapter 1 from the ODF site and it comes over as 1.2 MB. I'll see what happens when I edit it.