On Sat, 2011-12-17 at 16:38 +0000, Hazel Russman wrote:
When I downloaded this file, it was 1.2 MB. However many of the
pictures failed to load properly into LO. They appeared in the
navigator but read errors prevented them from actually displaying in
the text.

I saved the document, then reopened it. Now it is only 283 KB and the
faulty pictures have disappeared altogether.

I can't reliably judge the text without the illustrations. I don't know
if the problem lies with the download from AlFresco or with my LO
installation but I simply cannot edit like this. You will just have to
continue without me until this problem is cleared up.

-- Hazel Russman
<hazeldebian@googlemail.com>

     I had a similar thing happen to one of my Base chapters that I had
downloaded from Alfresco. When I first opened the file, all of the
pictures loaded properly and were visible in the document. Then for some
unknow reason, some of them disappeared. When I unzipped the document
file, there were only 21 pictures in it. I downloaded another copy it
from Alfresco and unzipped it. It contained 40+ pictures.
     Whatever happened occurred on my computer and it had not happened
before or since. For some reason, there seemed to be a loss of
information in the XML about the pictures which disappeared. So, when
the document was saved, the XML would have no mention of these pictures
nor would the pictures be saved as well.
     I'm wondering if I might have a problem with one of my RAM sticks.
They are several years old and might be developing some bad spots. (I
have already checked my hard drive for possible errors, but it should to
still be in good working order.

--Dan