Hi Gary,

Gary Schnabl schrieb:
On 12/16/2011 7:17 AM, Regina Henschel wrote:
Hi Gary,

Gary Schnabl schrieb:
I am experimenting with different means to insert graphics into Writer.
Using the Insert > Object > OLE Object with a copy-and-paste from a Draw

object with a PNG file as input, I was able to embed a higher-quality
screenshot into Writer than by inserting the same PNG screenshot file
via Insert > Picture > From File.

How do you determine "higher-quality"? If the picture is embedded as
picture the only way is to unpack the file and look at its properties
directly.

If you have a high-resolution picture it might look ugly on screen,
because it is downscaled to fit screen resolution. That picture will
print excellently using the higher resolution of a printer.

So, what would be the best means to achieve higher-quality screen
captures?

A screen capture can have only as many pixels as the screen has. What
do you really want to show in Writer?

Kind regards
Regina

I am achieving less fuzzy screenshots by employing (1) Insert > Object >
OLE Object. (2) In the Insert OLE Object dialog box: Object type:
LibreOffice 3.4 Drawing. Select the Create from file radio button,
browse for the raster file, and click OK. (3) Select and copy (or cut)
the graphic in the generated object and then delete the object. (4) Then
perform a Paste Special (Drawing format) and finally adjust the
positioning.

Try it yourself and compare it to doing an Insert > Picture of the same
raster graphic. Let me know...

The picture is identical. If you do it the one and the other way with the same picture only one picture is inside the file.

You need not to go via OLE, you can insert the picture into a draw document and then copy-paste it to the writer document to get a Draw-picture.

There are some differences between Writer-pictures and Draw-picture, for example contour and rotating. Perhaps you have enabled contour for the Writer-pictures?

I find that the OLE method produces crisper screenshots.

I see no differences. The real question is, whether the document is designed to be printed or to be shown on screen. For printing you need 150dpi-300dpi, for viewing on a standard monitor 72dpi-96dpi are better, because the reducing way in LO/AOO is very simple and the result is not good, even when you use anti-aliasing.

Kind regards
Regina