On 12/16/2011 7:17 AM, Regina Henschel wrote:
Hi Gary,

Gary Schnabl schrieb:
I am experimenting with different means to insert graphics into Writer.
Using the Insert > Object > OLE Object with a copy-and-paste from a Draw

object with a PNG file as input, I was able to embed a higher-quality
screenshot into Writer than by inserting the same PNG screenshot file
via Insert > Picture > From File.

How do you determine "higher-quality"? If the picture is embedded as picture the only way is to unpack the file and look at its properties directly.

If you have a high-resolution picture it might look ugly on screen, because it is downscaled to fit screen resolution. That picture will print excellently using the higher resolution of a printer.

So, what would be the best means to achieve higher-quality screen captures?

A screen capture can have only as many pixels as the screen has. What do you really want to show in Writer?

Kind regards
Regina

I am achieving less fuzzy screenshots by employing (1) Insert > Object > OLE Object. (2) In the Insert OLE Object dialog box: Object type: LibreOffice 3.4 Drawing. Select the Create from file radio button, browse for the raster file, and click OK. (3) Select and copy (or cut) the graphic in the generated object and then delete the object. (4) Then perform a Paste Special (Drawing format) and finally adjust the positioning.

Try it yourself and compare it to doing an Insert > Picture of the same raster graphic. Let me know...

I find that the OLE method produces crisper screenshots.

Gary

--

Gary Schnabl
Southwest Detroit, two miles NORTH! of Canada--Windsor, that is...

Technical Editor forum <http://TechnicalEditor.LivernoisYard.com/phpBB3/>