Some v 3.4.4 OOO340m1 and Template Changer observations

I am currently tonight in the process of converting an MS Word 2007 DOTX template to LO 3.4.4 for an IT consortium client. Having version LO 3.4.3 installed as of yesterday, I installed version LO 3.4.4 first. The Template Changer version 1.2.5 installed itself onto version 3.4.4--and worked OK. However, version 1.2.6 is the most current version.

The Extensions Manager would not update to the 1.2.6 version, so I uninstalled 1.2.5. Still OK. Downloading version 1.2.6 from this URL: http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/template-changer, I downloaded the file. However, the downloaded file had no file extension and the Extensions Manager would not recognize the file. So, I appended the .ZIP file extension to the filename, and it seemed to install OK.

My question... Just what file extension should that archive file have had? In addition, I am including instructions in the template exposition for installing and using Template Changer. So, I am undecided if I should include any bug fix or workaround to my instructions. Any advice about this???

Gary

That makes (at least) three of us !
Just yesterday we were discussing the same issue. In may case I fixed it
the same way you did. I don't know for sure which is the real missing
extension, but ".zip" does work.
If you need to include instructions about how to install Template Changer,
then should certainly include a tip mantioning that the extension needs to
be added if the extension manager does not recongnise the file.
And yes, I recommend reported the bug. I was thinking about doing it myself
but didn't have the time yet.

Hope you find this useful.

Gabriel

LO extensions like template changer normally are .oxt and in the past the template changer was .oxt. I don't know if anything has changed (such as now preferring .zip), but certainly having no file extension is clearly wrong. Sounds like some error when it was placed on the LO Extensions website. Definitely needs reporting.

--Jean

Likely, the Extensions Manager had suffered the same problem as my manual updating when attempting to update Template Changer remotely--not being able to recognize the updated file because that version (1.2.6) of Template Changer did not have a file extension.

Gary

Hi,

... Downloading version 1.2.6 from this URL:
http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/template-changer, I
downloaded the file. However, the downloaded file had no file extension
and the Extensions Manager would not recognize the file. So, I appended
the .ZIP file extension to the filename, and it seemed to install OK.

Gary, maybe you should mention this on the website list as this seems to be a
website related problem?

Regards,
Nino

Noted...

Perhaps, those more involved with the politics et al. with LO should undertake this? After all, I was kindly informed that yet two others in this email group have previously experienced the very same thing that I detected for myself a couple days ago.

[I still contribute to LO docs, but not to the same degree I did back during 2006 or thereafter--when I edited the Writer Guide and reworked the templates, style guides, and such. Nowadays, there SEEMS to be a critical mass of contributors--unlike back during 2006 or 2007. However, many of the contributors now are likely phantoms.]

As to the current situation with my client's LO template: I decided to simply include a workaround using a marginal comment and leave it there until LO or Andre Schnabel or whoever fixes the Template Changer website's filenaming snafu.

Gary

Gary Schnabl
Southwest Detroit, two miles NORTH! of Canada--Windsor, that is...

Technical Editor forum <http://TechnicalEditor.LivernoisYard.com/phpBB3/>