That makes (at least) three of us !
Just yesterday we were discussing the same issue. In may case I fixed it
the same way you did. I don't know for sure which is the real missing
extension, but ".zip" does work.
If you need to include instructions about how to install Template Changer,
then should certainly include a tip mantioning that the extension needs to
be added if the extension manager does not recongnise the file.
And yes, I recommend reported the bug. I was thinking about doing it myself
but didn't have the time yet.

Hope you find this useful.

Gabriel