Regarding the template changer, I had the same problem. It seems like some
files were missing and thus LO Extension Manager will not recognise it. But
It's easy to fix:

1- download the template changer (you already did)
2- Right-click on the file and select "rename file"
3- Leave the name as it is, but add ".zip" at the end.
4- Now LO Extension Manager will recognise the file so you can follow the
instructions as described here:
http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/Uploads/EN_Documents/Installingextensions.pdf

--
*Gabriel*