Jean,

Thanks for your comments.

The new file is:

0105GS34-THIRDDraftGettingStartedWithCalcDavidMichel

Here is an update of what I have done, and I hope I did not overlook something:

I forgot to mention a comment I made on page 8.  What do you think?

1) We do not use the term "radio button". Often the term "option" is a
good choice, but in this case I would use "action" because the heading
above the two radio buttons is "Action".

p.18:
I replaced "radio button" with "action".

2) With rare exceptions, we do not use the phrase "allows you to". In
this case a better wording would be "Select the Move action to..." In
other situations the phrase "Use the xxxx option to..." might work
best. The general principle is: use imperative voice (for example,
"Choose xxxx to do x") or an infinitive phrase such as "To do x,
choose xxxx."

p.18:
I removed the phrase "allows you to".  I found no other examples of this phrase.

4) I am sure there are other ways to move sheets, at least in some
circumstances, not just using this dialog. For example, you can
click-and-drag a sheet tab. This section should mention those other
methods. (You may need to play around a bit to figure out what they
are.)

The only method I found was drag and drop, and I wrote something brief.

5) The first paragraph on page 17 under the heading needs to be amended.

Do you mean the paragraph under "Inserting new sheets"?  What do you want me to change?

6) Formatting tips: Do not insert blank paragraphs by pressing Enter.
Do not use two spaces after a full stop (period); use only one. Do not
leave blank spaces at the end of a paragraph. If you turn on
end-of-paragraph markers, you'll be able to see blank paras and spaces
at the ends of paras easily.

The OOoTextBody style removed the spaces between the paragraphs.  I checked for a single space
after the periods on both pages 18 and 36-37.

p.36 I used OOoTextBody for the text, and the Definition styles for the definitions, using the
definitions on page 36 as a guide.

"Global" was added to the email address.

You changed the visible address, but you failed to change the
hyperlink. (A common mistake.)

I changed the email address.

BTW, the Figure 15 that you added appears to have been taken on
Windows XP. Please change the Windows desktop from the Blue theme to
the Silver theme, so any images you take will more closely match
others in the book. It's in Settings > Control Panel > Display >
Appearance tab; near the bottom is "Color scheme": choose Silver.

Figure 15 is now silver.

I did a search for "->" to replace with only ">", but found none.

The items needing replacement are actual arrows, and you should see
them in all the menu paths given in the chapter. To find them by
searching, you'll need to copy one and paste it into the Find &
Replace dialog. When you do replace them, you need to ensure that all
the ">" are in the correct character style (OOoMenuPath).

I copied an arrow, and did a find and replace with a ">" - but, all it did was give me an arrow and
a ">", and I could not delete the arrow.  Also, is there a way of adding a style to this character
at once for all of its 96 instances?

I went to: http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/template-changer
and downloaded the template changer without a problem;
However, at:  https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/howto/install_extension
It said: "There is currently no text in this page."
So, nothing was done with the template.

Regarding that empty wiki page: I assume you followed a link from
somewhere to get there. Do you recall where you got that link? We'll
need to fix it so it doesn't cause problems for other people.

I typed in the URL, not from a link.  The same error message appears.

Installing extensions is covered in several documents, including
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/9/9d/Installing_extensions.odt

I could not continue after step 3.  The attached image shows that I did not have the files the
instructions show.

________________________________
I've now looked at the file and will respond to the questions I
skipped in my last note.

David Michel dsmichel@yahoo.com wrote,> p18
Is my new text satisfactory?

Some comments:
1) We do not use the term "radio button". Often the term "option" is a
good choice, but in this case I would use "action" because the heading
above the two radio buttons is "Action".

2) With rare exceptions, we do not use the phrase "allows you to". In
this case a better wording would be "Select the Move action to..." In
other situations the phrase "Use the xxxx option to..." might work
best. The general principle is: use imperative voice (for example,
"Choose xxxx to do x") or an infinitive phrase such as "To do x,
choose xxxx."

3) Although the two sentences you flagged are a bit redundant, in
introductory material like this we've found that it's often best to
make statements that might seem obvious to us.

4) I am sure there are other ways to move sheets, at least in some
circumstances, not just using this dialog. For example, you can
click-and-drag a sheet tab. This section should mention those other
methods. (You may need to play around a bit to figure out what they
are.)

5) The first paragraph on page 17 under the heading needs to be amended.

6) Formatting tips: Do not insert blank paragraphs by pressing Enter.
Do not use two spaces after a full stop (period); use only one. Do not
leave blank spaces at the end of a paragraph. If you turn on
end-of-paragraph markers, you'll be able to see blank paras and spaces
at the ends of paras easily.

7) Do not put quotation marks around the names of options, buttons,
list boxes, or any other part of a dialog. Instead, use the
OOoMenuPath character style or (in some cases) the OOoEmphasis
character style, or (in some cases, such as the name of the dialog) no
special style. The style descriptions in the template instructions
should give a good idea of what style to use when. Unfortunately, many
of the chapters do not use the agreed-upon styles, so following the
examples of use in a chapter may lead you astray.

I am unclear where to put the section on data analysis.  I put it on page 36.

I think that's good. However, "Analyzing data" is a better title than
"Using data analysis". BTW, you have used "TextBody" instead of
"OOoTextBody" as the para style in that section.

 What should I use as a model for formatting the individual items?

You could use either bullet points or a definition list (choosing the
appropriate para styles). In this case, I think a definition list
would be good.

I borrowed and edited text from the Guide for the text about formulas and functions.

OK.

"Global" was added to the email address.

You changed the visible address, but you failed to change the
hyperlink. (A common mistake.)

Screenshots:>> Figures 1-5 show slight differences between compared with version 3.4.
Is this worth changing?  The boxes and arrows are ingrained in the images.

The only difference I can see is an icon in Fig1 and an icon in Fig 5,
though I could be missing something. I may have the original .ODG
files from which these PNG images were created, or a bit of fiddling
in GIMP will fix the icons quickly. (I do this a lot, to avoid
recapturing and relabeling.)
Figure 6:  Version 3.4's box is gray, but the content is exactly the same.

Figure 8:  Same question as #6.

In fact, as I have been looking at the screenshots, the only issue seems to be gray versus the
blue of version 3.4.

Whether items are gray or white usually depends on the operating
system and the desktop theme in use. The blue is NOT related to the
version of LibreOffice, but to your o/s.

BTW, the Figure 15 that you added appears to have been taken on
Windows XP. Please change the Windows desktop from the Blue theme to
the Silver theme, so any images you take will more closely match
others in the book. It's in Settings > Control Panel > Display >
Appearance tab; near the bottom is "Color scheme": choose Silver.

Although the above list of corrections may seem formidable, what you
have done is fairly typical for new contributors who haven't got used
to our writing and formatting style yet. I'll hand it back to you now
for another try.

--Jean