On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 06:44, Rogerio Luz Coelho <luz.rogerio@gmail.com> wrote:
2011/12/9 Dan Lewis <elderdanlewis@gmail.com>

    Question: If a person has two version of LO on Ubuntu, how many
might use the wrong version when writing and making screenshots? They
would look similar unless the icon styles for the two versions were
noticeably different. (I have used OOo to write my chapters and LO for
taking the screenshots at the same time. But sometimes I accidentally
reverse these two. Jean caught a couple of these recently in Chapter 1
of the Base Guide.)
    If the partition contains only the LO website version, one more
possible error (for some people) is eliminated.

--Dan

Err... What is the question? How to see if LibO is being used and what
version? Go to Help > About LibreOffice with an open document, if this is
not it, I think I misunderstand the question ..

Rogerio

The question was hypothetical, asking how many people might not pay
enough attention to notice that they might be using the wrong version
of LO when doing documentation.

Dan, that's certainly a good practical reason for people to choose to
keep only one version of LO on their machine. However, that's a
completely different issue from saying "it's necessary to remove the
Ubuntu version" -- which implies that the downloaded LO won't work (or
work properly) if the Ubuntu version is present. AFAIK, the latter is
not true; what is true is: "if you want the downloaded LO to be
integrated with the desktop, then it's necessary to remove the Ubuntu
version first" -- an entirely different statement.