Comments inline

On Tue, 2011-12-06 at 11:07 +1000, Jean Weber wrote: > My efforts
yesterday to find things on Ubuntu 11.10 with the new Unity > interface
drove me nuts, so this morning I found instructions to get > the
Classic desktop back. Tried it on my test computer and it worked >
fine. I can find things again, despite a few of them not being where I
expected. Once the Classic desktop is installed, you can switch >
between it and Unity, so you're no longer stuck with one or the other.
(The switching facility was built into 11.04, I think, but removed in
11.10.) >       I looked at my Ubuntu installation. The only
switching that I see is switching users. However, if a person uses two
users (classic desktop for one and Unity for the other), then switching
users will switch desktops as well.

Then I found instructions for creating a desktop launcher (another
thing that changed in 11.10) and got some more things back the way I'm
used to them. Someone new to Ubuntu might not find the new interface
as annoying as I do, but I'm glad others don't like it, because they
post useful how-tos.

     I followed your instructions below for creating a desktop launcher. I
even created a script that will create it. Finally, I created a desktop
launcher for the script which I dragged onto the top panel. (You can
still drag an icon from Applications on to the panel, but always where
you would want them. Their positions are limited.)      Here is
something that I just discovered! Alt+right click on the top panel
opens a context menu similar to the one that use to appear with just a
right click (Add to panel, Properties, Delete this panel,and New
panel). Use this key combination to make changes in the panel.

For anyone interested, here are the
instructions I used, of the many > blogs that turned up in a search. >

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/08/return-to-ubuntu-classic-desktop-in-ubuntu-11-10/

http://shuffleos.com/3274/how-to-create-desktop-launchers-in-ubuntu-11-10-oneiric-ocelot/
Now to update the other two machines...
--Jean

     If anyone is going to use LibreOffice on Ubuntu for writing
documents, the Ubuntu version of LO needs to be removed completely
using Synaptic. (This is required to prevent Ubuntu from downloading
and installing its version of LO updates over your installation.) After
this is done, LO 3.4.4 can be installed.
     I have a document that I can update describing how to remove
Ubuntu's version of LO. I also have a script file that can be used to
install LO from the LO website after removing Ubuntu's version. (The
script requires running in a terminal window.)
     I can upload these two files in my Dashboard if others would like to have a copy.

--Dan