My efforts yesterday to find things on Ubuntu 11.10 with the new Unity
interface drove me nuts, so this morning I found instructions to get
the Classic desktop back. Tried it on my test computer and it worked
fine. I can find things again, despite a few of them not being where I
expected. Once the Classic desktop is installed, you can switch
between it and Unity, so you're no longer stuck with one or the other.
(The switching facility was built into 11.04, I think, but removed in
11.10.)

Then I found instructions for creating a desktop launcher (another
thing that changed in 11.10) and got some more things back the way I'm
used to them. Someone new to Ubuntu might not find the new interface
as annoying as I do, but I'm glad others don't like it, because they
post useful how-tos.

For anyone interested, here are the instructions I used, of the many
blogs that turned up in a search.

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/08/return-to-ubuntu-classic-desktop-in-ubuntu-11-10/

http://shuffleos.com/3274/how-to-create-desktop-launchers-in-ubuntu-11-10-oneiric-ocelot/

Now to update the other two machines...

Maybe You should take a look to Linux Mint 12 “Lisa” ->
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1889

Escuelas Libres :: Porque la educación es mucho mejor cuando es libre
www.escuelaslibres.org.ar
---
Para entrenar, cualquier programa sirve. Para educar, sólo Software
Libre. (Federico Heinz)
---