Editing Fields - Impress Guide

Does anybody know about editing fields in Impress?

I am updating the Impress Guide and have come across the instructions for
editing fields in the Impress Guide, but I cannot get this to work. When you
go to the Edit menu Fields.... is greyed out and cannot be used. Is this
something that has been removed from Impress?

I have checked these instructions in Writer and they work OK, but not
Impress.

Is this a bug report for the software people to sort out?

Regards

Peter

Hi :slight_smile:
We are having a bit of trouble on the documentation list.  Can anyone help with this Impress problem?

Ahh, it's just occurred to me it might be in the "experimental features"
Regarsd from
Tom :slight_smile:

Hello Tom

Maybe check to see if the listing has not been hacked.

Immediately after posting the topic I got a spam email saying that I had won £500 000 in the UK. The I am using for LO is only used for business and office work.

I just have a suspicious mind sometimes.

Regards

Peter

The description in Chapter 2 about editing fields in master slides is
unclear. You cannot edit the automatic fields (the ones enclosed in
angle brackets) in the footer of a master slide using the method
described. However, if you insert a field of your own, either in the
footer area or in a text box that you create, then you can edit that
field.

--Jean

The description in Chapter 3 is less ambiguous only because it's not
talking about the info in the master slide footer, but both sections
need a bit of rewriting.

--Jean

Email addresses are displayed in plain text in the list archives, so
no "hacking" is necessary for them to be harvested by a spambot.

--Jean

Hello Jean

I have already tried what you suggested before I posted my query and I
cannot find anyway to edit fields.

Tom did suggest it could be something experimental for Impress because this
feature works in Writer.

In my opinion the edit item Fields... should be removed from Impress if it
is experimental and any instructions deleted from the Impress Guide.

Regards

Peter

Hello Jean and Tom

Just found it so we can say subject closed.

The instructions in the Impress Guide will have to be re-written to make it
clearer. It must be that cup of tea I have just finished.

Regards

Peter

It works for me with "experimental" off as well as on. The
"experimental" setting, btw, isn't just for experimental things, but I
forget the details of why it's called that.

I tested this using LO 3.4.4 on Mac OS X Lion. I doubt it's any
different on Ubuntu, but I haven't tried it.

--Jean

Good to hear!

Congrats :)  Nicely done.  I keep trying to tempt people in from the Users List but whatever i try never seems to work.  Well, occasionally but not often.

I think it was for things that were in Go-OO (and other forks that were merging) but hadn't been fully accepted by QA.  At a guess most of the things that are still in there have been thoroughly tested on pretty much every platform, even Macs, by now.

Is someone here also on the Web-designer's List?  Is it possible to have a bit more security, like the Nabble interface has?

As a side note, that also includes the macro recorder that has been in there as long as I can remember. I do, however, consider the macro recorder to be rather flawed in that it only records some things, and the things it records are only dispatches. One of the lead developers from the project (Matias Bauer) indicated that it was sufficiently bad that it should be removed.