On 27/11/2011, at 8:04, Dan Lewis <elderdanlewis@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 2011-11-27 at 06:37 +1000, Jean Weber wrote:
Dennis, thank you for the extremely relevant discussions about copyright
and licensing, including:

There is absolutely no requirement to file an iCLA with the Apache
Software Foundation in order to use the Apache License v2.0...

The license itself suggests all that is needed to apply it to your own
work...

... independently licensing under ALv2 is *not* the same as contributing
it to Apache.

And all the other info, particularly the difference between copyright and
licensing.

--Jean

   I've been reading this, but I am still not clear on some points. As
the originator and author of the Base documents I write, aren't I the
one to whom the copyright belongs?

Yes, though other contributors have some rights. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details of precisely what
the rights of the other contributors are. I've always considered that all are equal shareholders,
so to speak, but technically it's more complicated.

   When someone contributes to the documents, are they agreeing with
the copyright that is contained in the document when they make their
contribution?

Yes.

   Why can't the few of us who contribute to the Base documents
seemingly should be considered to be the holders of the Base document
copyrights agree to change the licenses under which these documents are
copyrighted? Isn't this within our rights?

You can. It is within your rights. That's why I suggested making the change.

In fact, you can make that change to the Base Guide whether or not there is a change in the
template.