A little more about Tom's terminology and I shall cease discussing more about
copyright than you probably ever wanted to know.

 - Dennis

Transfer of copyright is different than licensing a copyrighted work.  There
are exclusive rights that obtain to copyright holders.  A copyright holder can
license some or all of those rights without surrendering the copyright itself.
Absent such a license, exercise of an exclusive right by anyone but the
copyright owner constitutes infringement.  Some infringements are defensible
as "fair use" in some jurisdictions, but only judges decide whether the
defense succeeds.

In the example given by Tom below, (re-)distribution of the documents by TDF
is done under the CC-BY-SA and it is not a relicensing.  It is done under the
original license.  And communication of the same license to the recipients is
done under the original license.  Were the TDF or its contributors to make a
derivative work, the CC-BY-SA requires that derivative to satisfy the
Share-Alike requirement.  (It is a form of copyleft.)  Any added copyright
would apply to the new material and its combination with the original.  But
the original copyright is intact: You can't copyright the parts of a work that
are not your own independent creation (unless you've been transferred that
copyright).

Finally, note that the copyright holder still holds all of the original
exclusive rights and is not restricted by the license granted others.  That is
how Sun, which held the copyrights to OpenOffice.org, was able to
privately-license the code base under different terms than the LGPL that was
granted to the general public and used on the open-source OpenOffice.org
distributions.  One feature of reciprocal licenses that I favor is the fact
that the recipients have all of the same rights that the copyright owner has,
apart from the ability to transfer the copyright itself.

 - Dennis