David Michel dsmichel@yahoo.com wrote,
No, I did not get sucked into a black hole!  I made changes, and the new file is:

0105GS34-SECONDDraftGettingStartedWithCalc DavidMichel.odt

I've taken a copy of the file and will look at it later today.
Meanwhile, here are answers to a few of your questions.

I went to: http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/template-changer

and downloaded the template changer without a problem;

However, at:  https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/howto/install_extension

It said: "There is currently no text in this page."

So, nothing was done with the template.

Installing extensions is covered in several documents, including
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/9/9d/Installing_extensions.odt

It's also briefly covered in producing-LibreOffice-userguides.odt,
which is available in the Resources > Drafts folder on Alfresco. That
document also describes many other things you need to know when
writing or revising user guide chapters.

I also recommend reading using_LibreOffice_template.odt, which
describes all the styles used in our user guides and what they should
be used for, and LibO-style-guide.odt for some tips on our preferred
writing style and terminology.

Regarding that empty wiki page: I assume you followed a link from
somewhere to get there. Do you recall where you got that link? We'll
need to fix it so it doesn't cause problems for other people.

I did a search for "->" to replace with only ">", but found none.

The items needing replacement are actual arrows, and you should see
them in all the menu paths given in the chapter. To find them by
searching, you'll need to copy one and paste it into the Find &
Replace dialog. When you do replace them, you need to ensure that all
the ">" are in the correct character style (OOoMenuPath).

More later.