I think it's best to stick with the current system but obviously the documentation that describes
it needs to be updated.

I tend to think that new people who have a lot of questions are likely to be the ones in the best
position to really get that documentation right.  People who already understand the system might
have forgotten 'obvious' questions.  I think maybe the first draft by techie people that do
thoroughly understand the system might be best.

Changing the system just because soem people haven't yet understood the system seems a dumb idea.
It's kinda 2 steps backwards and then the backwards systems will need to grow and deal with the
issues that the current system already deals with  At the same time the backwards system will have
to worry about being backwards compatible as it tries to stumble forwards.  Eventually the
backwards system would doubtless arrive where we already are but the journey would be painful.
Much better to simply document the current system and use it.

Just my 2cents.