Earlier we had speculated on whether our custom-made "XP-Silver" theme
would work on Ubuntu 11.10. I've finally had a chance to try this and
was unsuccessful. This is quite likely user error ;-) but I don't know
enough about such things to trouble-shoot the problem.

However, I have found what I consider an acceptable replacement theme,
a combination of an GTK+ theme called "Adwaita" (shipped with Ubuntu
11.10) and a Window theme called Evolve, which must be downloaded and
installed. Note that using the Evolve GTK+ theme does not give the
desired result (the contrast is not good enough).

I have written this up here, along with a screenshot and instructions
on downloading and installing Evolve:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Production#Sample_screenshots

This should also work on other distros (though the method of
installation will vary). For Ubuntu 11.10, use the Gnome Tweak Tool
(info about that is on the wiki page too).

Comments welcome. Please keep in mind the important criteria for
screenshots in the user guides, which include high contrast between
the text and background in all parts of the screenshot, and high
quality printing in black and white (mainly for printed copies
available through Lulu, but also for anyone printing from the PDFs).