David,
Thanks for the details. Once you got to "checking out the codebase
from Git", I realised why I've never seriously thought about
contributing directly to the Help.

There has been a project for a wiki-based help in the pipeline for a
few months but, for the moment, the work still involves checking out
the codebase from Git and editing files within it.

Depending on the length and detail of the answer, this might become
part of an existing chapter of the Contributors Guide, or it could be
a chapter on its own. IMO it's very important to distinguish between
how to work on the Help vs how to work on the user guides.

i think you're right that there should be a dedicated chapter on the
subject, and that it's important to teach newcomers the distinction
between documentation and the software's built-in help.

I'll take this on as a task to do along with revising the Alfresco
content of the contributor docs.

Perhaps both subjects would merit writing-up on the wiki, too, but we
should perhaps be careful about duplicating coverage because of the
probable future emergence of conflicts in the info. With that it mind,
which is the best way to go? Wiki only? Wiki plus contributor docs?
Contributor docs only?

Ideally both, but given the lack of resources to keep things up to
date, my preference would be to make them "contributor docs" only,
listed on the wiki (and downloadable from there)... only because
that's how I've done the other chapters, all of which are still
incomplete drafts. But I'm open to going the other way, with the info
in wiki format as the primary source.

It's the usual balance between what's preferable and what's most
likely to be achieved.