Plenty to choose from:

Base, for writing from scratch (but do liaise with Dan Lewis, who's
done most of the work so far). There's an outline.
Calc, for updating and improving (talk with Martin Fox, who's working
on some of it).
Impress, for updating (and improving?).

Or you might be interested in working on something other than one of
the standard user guides.
For example, a Guide for Technical Writers (which both David Nelson
and I have ideas about).

Or the Administrators Guide, which could be based on existing (but
out-dated) OpenOffice.org guide.

I can point to background info on several of these, so let me know
what you pick or are considering.

--Jean