On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 06:01, David Nelson <lists@traduction.biz> wrote:
Hi Jean,

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
Ah, OK. That brings us back to the original question: where are the Help source files? And
related questions about how/where/when to write/edit the Help. Is this work all tracked through
the issue/bug system? Devs say "here is a new or changed function or dialog box which needs Help
written/revised?"

Well, I guess I could add content to the contributor docs about this.
Rainer Bielefeld popped up on this list a few months back asking how
he should in form us of new bugs/work requests. He's now forwarding
them to me, and I forward them to the list here, and bookmark them in
my mail for attention.

IIRC, the idea was to CC someone rather than the docs ML because it
might get a bit spammy with the interaction that shoots back and forth
about some bugs. Does this seem sensible?

I think this is a good approach at this time. Further thought: If we
don't yet have a wiki page where someone (not necessarily you) lists
these issues as they come in (so we can track them), then we should
set one up. People can then see what's needed and put their name down
to work on it. Forwarding initial contact to list is important, but a
tracking page on wiki is also needed.

My main questions are to do with how and where we write/edit help:

* In the Help files themselves? (If so, where?)

* By attaching a file (what format?) to the issue, so someone else can
incorporate it in the help?

And what to do if someone on the Docs team finds Help that needs
copyediting, enhancement, etc? Open an issue about it, attaching an
edited/revised version? Edit the Help file directly?

Depending on the length and detail of the answer, this might become
part of an existing chapter of the Contributors Guide, or it could be
a chapter on its own. IMO it's very important to distinguish between
how to work on the Help vs how to work on the user guides.