I think it is not such a big deal now.  Back when Oracle owned OpenOffice and were being hostile it
was prudent to get ahead of any potential threat.  I think it's still worth avoiding using Windows
screen-shots.  MS are unlikely to cave-in so easily!  Mac don't have a competing product.  Well,
not one that is a significant part of their income.

So i think the only issue is about how consistent the chapters and guides are with each other and i
think sticking to Gnu&Linux and Mac gives a reasonable result.