Thanks, Dennis. Although I don't consider Wikipedia a definitive
source, it's always nice when it agrees with me. ;-)

I note this sentence in the Wikipedia article you cited: 'The correct
way to write it in English is "how-to", but it is common practice to
write it as "HOWTO" in the Linux community.' That explains to me why
many people on this project are used to the all-caps version. However,
the majority of LO's users are Windows users and, therefore, I assume
most the readers of our documentation are Windows users; they are less
likely to be familiar with Linux conventions.

Unfortunately, no style guide citation is given for the statement 'The
correct way to write it in English is "how-to",' and I've been unable
to find anything about this in a quick look through my style guides.
Another possibility is to use "how-to" as an adjective, not a noun:
for example, "a how-to guide" instead of "a how-to" or "a list of
how-to guides" instead of "a list of how-tos".

--Jean

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 06:36, Dennis E. Hamilton