Ahhh, it's actually a LOT easier than that.

1.  You just register a user-name and login for yourself, just as you would with registering at a
forum.  It's less tricky than setting up an email account such as gmail or yahoo.  I think there
might be a 24hour delay before you get the confirmation email to your address but that email should
help you login for the first time and change your password to something simple and short.

Sadly the wiki doesn't seem to allow really complicated passwords so stick to letters and maybe
numbers but no "funny characters".  Experiment with the password after you have got the first one
sorted out.

Hmm actually this password stuff is the really messy, clunky and confusing bit and it is probably
that which is making the whole thing seem like a nightmare.  I had to use the password "password"
(which is the most common and most hacked/cracked password out there) for quite a while before i
was able to find something better that i could use & remember.

2.  Once you have an account and have logged in and are at the page you want to edit it's much like
just writing an email.  Once you have written what you want scroll down past all the language
options, write a brief comment in the equivalent of the subject-line and click the appropriate
button to "submit" changes.  The preview button can be a bit confusing at first so don't bother
using it until you have made a few successful changes to a page.

3.  It is possible to use a type of mark-up language that does quite a few things that html would
do but uses a different language called wiki-mark-up.  If you are fairly familiar with html it's
easy.  If you're not it's still reasonably easy.  Either way it's worth leaving formatting for
other people to do later until you have had a bit of practice at just getting plain text added a
few times.

4.  There are pages that show what changes have been made recently throughout the wiki so if you
make some stupid dumb mistake someone else can probably fix it.  Don't worry about making dumb
mistakes everyone makes them especially while learning and most people are just happy to see
someone new joining in and may even help with a couple of quick hints&tips.

Good luck, have fun and don't worry!  Just add stuff and see how it goes :)