On Fri, 2011-11-04 at 16:25 +1000, Jean Weber wrote:

I've been reading this thread with mixed feelings. I am certainly very
happy that you all think highly of my contributions, but I'm not sure
that I'm ready to spend enough time doing what I think a team leader
should do. I guess it would help if I listed what I think those things
are, and what I'm likely to do or not do, so we're all talking about
the same thing.

Just one comment now:
David Nelson said, "If you feel that the team should continue to
operate without any one single leader, with things being taken care of
by the person most diligent at that moment..."

My feeling is that things will have to continue to be "taken care of
by the person most diligent at that moment" because no one person can
(or, IMO, should) be directing all the traffic, and I'm certainly not
going to hand out assignments or track everything that's going on.
That's too much like a job, and I don't have time anyway.

Even with a "team leader" we need several people taking responsibility
for specific topic areas, a luxury we've never had (and only had
briefly, years ago, at OOo). We have a few, but not anywhere near
enough.

I'll write more later.

--Jean

It is nice to have someone directing all of the traffic, but I agree
that is too much to ask from one person. The team leader needs to have
some helpers to whom some of responsibilities should be delegated. The
helpers could do the work for each of their assigned areas and report to
the team leader the results. Suggestions of what might work better could
then be given by the team leader to the individual helpers.

Observation: It is very easy to reply "+1" to making a person the team
leader to keep track of everything and everyone's progress. (Let someone
else do it.) It is much harder to take on the responsibility of leading
a specific topic area with persistence and diligence while only getting
guidance from the team leader.

My experience with Jean's work goes back to OOo 1.1.x days. She does a
wonderful job of guiding others. But she has had to do too many things
for others that they were not willing to do for themselves. (She was the
one to do the most important review of Getting Started with Base that
someone else should have done.)

Maybe we need a need thread in which people volunteer to head the
specific areas of LibreOffice. Perhaps this should be done first. Once
we have leaders there, then might be a better time to have a team
leader. After all, if we are truly a team, we ought to be doing our
part.

These are my thoughts.

--Dan